my dog has a problem with one of his ears.it is red inside with brown gunk.it also itches really bad. what do I do pleas

Asked by Member 615553 on Apr 1st 2008 Tagged earproblem in Allergies

Best Answer

It does sound like some sort of infection. I would call a vet and have your pup seen as soon as possible. I don't recommend using a q-tip only because it will push the infection deeper into the canal, I would use a cotton ball and just swab the ear. If it is an infection your vet will be able to prescribe something for your pup. He may also give you some ear drops to help with wax build up. If you have a dog with floppy ears I would recommend clean his ears at least once a week(don't forget to remove the hair from the ear canal, your vet or groomer can show you how)and also I would suggest flipping your dogs ears back to air them out every other day for about 15 minutes, it helps to dry out some of the moisture that builds up. I really wish your pup the best of luck, I know how much I hate having an ear ache or anything wrong with my ears. Good luck.

answered on Apr 1st.

Answers

What do you do? Why, take him to the vet. Anytime your dog has a health problem that's what you do.
It sounds like your dog has ear mites, but only the vet can give a proper diagnosis.

Ellie

It sounds like ear mites, definatly take it to the vet they will treat it and then send you home with something to keep them clean with.
But definatly take them to the vet.

Ellie answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ollie

I would say take him to the vet too. They'll give you ear drops for him.. I had a yeast infection in my ear so it could be anything. Good luck

Lots of licks,
Ollie

Ollie answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rocky

My dog had the same issue. I used some ear mite solution and used a cutip to clean out the gunk. Just be sure not to get into the ear drum.
You will probably have to repeat a few times.

Good Luck!

Rocky answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Layla

Sounds more like a simple ear infection to me. Are you cleaning his ear regularly?

Like everyone said, the first step is to take him to the vet and to prevent future occurrences you need to make sure you are routinely cleaning his ears as the vet prescribes.

Layla answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sebastian

It sounds like your dog has an ear infection. Take him/her to the vet in the morning. Sebastian had the same problem. The vet gave him antibiotics and some ear drops and his infection cleared up in about a week.

Sebastian answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jesse

NO ONE HERE IS ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT IS IN YOUR DOGS EAR.THE BEST THING FOR THE DOG IS TO GO TO THE VET!!

Jesse answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Your dog has an ear infection, which needs to be diagnosed by the vet. Dogs's ears can get water or moisture in them and yeast, which is present in very small amounts can quickly multiply and an infection starts.

Strong odor, brown/purplish colored disharge, redness and hot ears, itching and scratching are symptoms.

This can be easily cured by a prescription ear drops from your vet, but you MUST go in person to get a diagnosis.

This infection is VERY uncomfortable and might even be painful for your dog, so definitely take him in first thing in the morning to the vet. If you leave this longer, not only will the dog be suffering, but he can easily lose his hearing from this if it goes untreated.

Once you get the drops, make sure you use all them as directed. Stopping early can cause the infection to come back.

When you're at the vet, have them show you how to clean his ears.

NEVER USE Q-TIPS, ALCOHOL, PERODIXDE or OTHER CHEMICAL in your dog's ears.