My dog has a blister-like rash on his lower abdominal area. Any ideas?

Grissom is a half Lab/half Rott that is 6 months old. He is already neutered and has recently developed a rash that looks like blisters where his testes used to be. It is very odd and seems to itch him a great deal. I don't want to put anything on it that he may injest because he licks it often, but I have no idea what it could be.

Asked by Member 836276 on May 14th 2009 Tagged mydoghasarashthatlookslikeblistersonhislowerbelly in Skin Problems

Answers

I think he would be best off seeing a vet, having it identified, and being given a safe and effective remedy.

Impetigo comes to mind, which is a skin infection.
The blisters will usually break leaving red skin, then get scabby after a couple of days. Washing the area with an antibacterial soap will do no harm until you visit your vet. Your vet may prescribe an antibiotic.
Have a good one.

Impetigo is what that sounds like, it is in children who come in contact with dirty surfaces. It gets on the skin and causes blister sores that break open. It is contagious as well.
but, don't know if that is what your dog has, I agree get him to the vets to be treated just in case. Also wash area with bacterial soap, but keep dry after that. I think it has to be kept dry to clear up.

Sounds like yeast - I am sure you are due for more puppy shots.... bring this up to the vet next time you are in.
Here are some Natural things you can do to help the skin and coat:
1. an Oatmeal bath - buy some doggie oatmeal shampoo- very soothing for rashes.

2. skin and coat wafers ; www.nuvet.com great for all ages and stages! ( Not sold in pet stores)
This is Holistic see link above

3. Salmon oil - 1 tablespoon per day - added to his food : look for Yummy chummies or Grizzley pure salmon oil ( 12-16 oz bottles) Sold in most pet stores..

Also, you may want to make sure your food doesn't have too much corn.
good foods are: innova PUPPY-
Wellness puppy
Merrick puppy
Solid gold - puppy