my dog had surgery on tuesday. well shes been on antibiotics, and yesterday and today she has had diarrhea?

she is a 6 year old chihuahua. she had small mammary tumors removed, she was spayed, and had some teeth removed. well everything has been going well, but yesterday and today she has only pooped once. and it was very watery. i have been feeding her just boiled chicken since she came home. could it be the antibiotics, or the chicken? before this i would always feed her blue buffalo and occasionally some chicken. i will be calling her vet tomorrow in the morning,

Asked by Member 961905 on Apr 20th 2013 in Medications

Answers

Becca

You have to get things moving, to get things moving. If this surgery has been recent, then just a walk (follow you) through the house a couple times a day. More distance is better, given her recovery condition.

Things like that used to be called "constitutionals". :D

Becca answered on 4/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It could be both. Make lots of water available, if your doc has not restricted water post-surgery. I'd give her some Pepcid and, if her diarrhea becomes more pronounced, I would give some Immodium. You don't want to give the Immodium if she doesn't need it because it will cause constipation. Don't worry too much about soft stool, unless there's blood in it. Also I would probably take a stool sample to the vet with me just in case.

Here's a link to dosage info to the medications suggested above:
www.walkervalleyvet.com

Libby, BOTH the drugs you suggested can react adversely with some antibiotics. I would not EVER give any OTC human drug to any dog without checking with my vet first, especially a dog already under a vets care and taking prescription drugs.
I agree, it could be either the antibiotics or the chicken. Give your vet a call and follow their advice.
Good luck.