Guest

My dog had an allergic reaction to flea medication

Hi last week I bought a flea product called Sentry Pro XFC, I put it on Pablo, my 3yr old pug, within 6hrs he was running around like crazy he would try to lay down and jump up, he was licking the air constantly & had 2 seizures this all happened within the 1sthr of seeing his 1st symptoms. He was taken to the vet & had a cath put in him to flush his system. 2 days later his hair was falling out, the vet they shaved him and he had oozing chemical burns all over his back... Ok this was over a week ago. The problem is he won't stop licking his paws, & his nose. It is so bad that his black muzzle has blisters on his lip or the skin has been licked and has pink patches. I have tried ointments & hdrocortisone sprays on both his feet & muzzle but it seems to make it worse because he tries to lick it off. I have put booties on him, but then he just licks the air or the couch he wont stop licking. Also on 25mg 2X Benadryl. Is this part of the reaction still,if so how long could this last.


Asked by Member 718887 on Aug 26th 2008 Tagged allergicreactions, fleamedication, licking, allergies in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Abby

I'm sorry this is happening to you and Pablo.

What you are seeing is *NOT* an allergic reaction, it's a neurological reaction to being poisoned by a toxic substance - which is exactly what Sergeant's (and Hartz) over-the-counter flea and tick medications are. Toxic.

Both Sergeants and Hartz have been linked to many cases of making pets ill or even causing their deaths, and you can read some of the horrific accounts from pet owners this has happened to here - hartzvictims.org

My recommendation would be to go back to the vet and have him decide on a course of action. Obviously, if your pug is still showing problems from being poisoned by this product, there is a medical issue that needs to be addressed. Only your vet will be able to advise you on how that should be done.

And if I were you, I'd be holding on to all the vet bills and mailing them to Sergeant's ...


Abby answered on 8/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer


Guest

I put garlic powder in my dogs food and it works for her. I just put maybe 1/2 t in with the food. I also bathed her with an oatmeal based shampoo, Night be allergic to the Benadryl. Try a cool bath and an oatmeal based shampoo.


Member 719027 answered on 8/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

I just brought my dog home after he experienced the same symptoms as you mentioned (plus much vomiting, all filled with fur) from the same product. The e.r. vet said he has seen many cases of this kind of neurological reaction from OTC flea medications. My dog, too, had a cath put in to flush/hydrate his system, as well as a muscle relaxant to slow the progress of the toxin. It is not an allergy. Or pets are being poisoned. It cost me $1,000 for the treatment.


Member 841563 answered on 5/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

I just bought that same exact crap for my dog. A few hours after she was salivating like crazy and just looked scared. I called the company and they said to give her water or cjicken brother and I could give her a bath with regluar dishsoap to wash it of if I was still concerned. I did so, but she still seems to be scratching alot. Not sure what to put on her for that. Ugh, I just feel so terrible that I bought that crap without doing any research first.


Member 926136 answered on 12/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer