My dog got pregnant from her dad!

My sis owns a male Lhasa Apso, i own his daughter from a previous dog she had..i went to visit with my dog and they got stuck.. i didnt know my dog was in heat or that the male dog was in heat and i didnt expect this. My dog is 2 years old. I know, i know i shouldve had her spayed but i just simply never got around to it.. Should i be worried about her being pregnant?? Will there be any defects from a father daughter breeding??? help! Im a struggling college student and i dont have the money for a vet- are they extremely expensive?

Asked by Member 566700 on Feb 5th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Call your Vet and set up an appointment for her to be spayed.They can do this when she is pregnant.How long ago was this?Get it done ASAP before she is to far along.It' may be around $200 for her to be fixed.But that is cheaper then what you are going to spend if she has those pups!
I'm going to keep saying this until everyone get's it and reguardless of how any one feels.Because this is truely sick!
9 MILLION pets were put to sleep last year from the result of over breeding!

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on Feb 5th.

Answers

Marlowe, CGC

I think either way you're going to have to fire up your credit card here. There's a good chance your dog is pregnant and because she's a small breed the pregnancy could wind up being very very pricey (many small dogs need cesarian sections and on top of that there's about a million things that could go wrong).

To head that off, you can find a vet to do a spay-abort. Early on, you can still get your dog spayed even if she's already pregnant. It will cost a little more but it will potentially save you money and save your dog the trauma of giving birth, and you'll get the spaying you've been meaning to do over with.

A father-daughter breeding won't automatically produce defects, but it will create more dogs in a world that already has way too many to handle.

BTW male dogs don't go in to heat. Only females do that. Males are ready all the time. Female dogs usually only "stand" or let a male breed them when they are ready to breed.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 2/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Males, unlike females, do not "go into heat". They are always ready to breed, unless neutered. Your females was inheat. Although a successful mating doesn't guarenttee that your dog is pregnant, most likely she is. What has happened here is called "inbreeding", which is where a dog is bred to one of it's close relatives. When done right, inbreeding can be helpful as it intensifies some traits. Unfortunately, it intensifies the good with the bad. It is not all all bad, nor is it all good. You should have gotten her spayed, as it costs less than taking care of a litter of puppies. Some vets are more expensive than others. I hope you will learn a lesson from this. Good luck with your dog! And get her spayed after the puppies are sold. And NEVER sell the puppies until they are at least 8 weeks old!

Your dog really needs to see a vet to see if she is pregnant, especially since you have a small breed dog. Try putting the visit on credit. She will need multiple check-ups during her pregnancy. Yes, there can be effects to in-breeding but I am unsure on the details - I'm sure a quick search on Google could bring back some information.

Intact male dogs do not go "into heat" - they are always ready to fertilize a female when they smell one in heat.

If there was a tie, then yes, pregnancy is an extremely good possibility.

You need to be careful when you are allowing two intact dogs of opposite genders to interact. Get to know your dog's heat cycle and when she's in heat and keep her in the house, with a close eye on her at ALL times. Male dogs will go to GREAT lengths to get to a female in heat.

Failing to get your dog to a vet and failing to educate yourself on the special care your dogs needs (including diet) during her pregnancy can result in disaster for your girl.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

You defintely need to get her to the vet, and as everyone else suggested have her spayed. I am not sure what options you have in your area, but we have a Humane Society that does female spays for 65.00. Check with your local humane society to see what options they can give you. Most vets will also set you up on a payment plan. Good luck!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 2/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

KeKe

My lord!!! If you can't afford to get your dog fixed or regular vet care, you have no business owning one! If you are in collage, then you should be old enough to know that male dogs do not go into heat, the females do. I agree with the pp, get your cc, go to a vet, get her fixed and then find her a good home.
On small breeds, the older they get and they are not fixed, they can end up needing a hysterectomy and that will cost you big bucks!!!

KeKe answered on 2/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer