My dog escapes from her crate and sometimes is destructive. What do i do?

Luna has basically destroyed and escaped from 2 different types of crates. Once out, she usually find things to rip up. She also manages to pee in the crate before she breaks out.

She is very well behaved when we are home. She does not pee inside or get into things she shouldn't.

Is this separation anxiety?

Should I give her a dog toy to rip or will this just perpetuate that behavior?

Asked by Member 859933 on Jul 23rd 2009 Tagged chewing in Crate Training

Answers

You can use snaps from the farmstore to attach to the gate if it is a wire cage.
Find her dog toys to chew on that are for heavy chewers such as the black kong

Cookie

Yes, this sounds like separation anxiety.
When you leave her in the crate, try to put in a used sock or t-shirt (one that you don't mind being destroyed) into the crate and it might help her calm down a bit. You can also try getting a Kong and stuffing it with peanut butter or a special treat and that should keep her distracted for a short time. Also, you should associate the crate with good things, and make sure to gradually get her used to it (leave her in there for 15 minutes one day, 30 the next day, 1 hour the next day etc.). Another thing you can do is leave the TV or radio on while you're gone. I don't know if this is possible for you to do, but you can try to give her a room or section of the house to be in while you're gone instead of a crate, but make sure there is nothing she can destroy in that room.

Cookie answered on 7/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

While some of the above advice is good, beware of letting her have anything she can shred. Besides destroying things, it can lead to blockages of the dog's airway or digestive tract. At best an expensive operation and perhaps a dead dog. I count myself very lucky. My Golden somehow got a heavy wool sock. The only evidence I had was when I was cleaning up the back yard. The girl that is showing him at 4-H lost a 3 year old Golden this year that ate a sock.

There are very few rooms that are safe for a dog. One electrical cord is all it takes. I had a friend whose dog tore up the floor covering.

The snap for the latch may help. Then there is www.elitek9.com I like the plastic crates. I never had a dog get out of one. I did cut corners once and not have all the screws in the crate. A Husky managed to force his head out the joint between the halves. $ screws was always enough for a Lab.

Coquito

My Chi has that issue to I give her a kong to keep her busy in her cage and I have to put a bungee cord on the door to keep her from escaping.

Coquito answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer