♥Juneau♥

My dog eats broccoli...I just found out that it's posionous. What are signs that he is sick?!

I feel very guilty, and I thought that it was healthy for dogs, but I saw a list of foods that were poisonous to dogs, and saw that broccoli was on the list. He seems to like it a lot. Are there any signs that I need to look for that mean that he is sick? I am extremely worried for him. Should I take him to the vet? Please help!

Asked by ♥Juneau♥ on Nov 7th 2007 Tagged broccoli, poison, juneau, sick, help, ill, vet in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

It's not broccoli in general that is poisonous, it's the AMOUNT of broccoli.

Broccoli contains isothiocyanate, which is a gastric irritant. It's also what causes broccoli toxicity in animals.

Broccoli fed in very small amounts - less than 5% of your dog's daily food intake - is fine and safe. Broccoli in large amounts is not a good idea and can make your dog very sick.

There's a lot of argument whether dogs do or don't need vegetables in their diet. Some people say they do, and some people say they don't.

Abby answered on Nov 7th.

Answers

Vance CGC

Broccoli, in the amount that a dog would normally consume it is not toxic. Especially because dogs don't digest veggies very well and it pretty much passes through their system without being broken down.

Broccoli toxicity does exist in livestock, when broccoli is fed as over 10% of their diet. Everything I can find on broccoli and dogs says that it's a wonderful, cancer-fighting addition to their diet.

That said, if your dog eats an excessive amount of anything, call a vet.

Vance CGC answered on 11/7/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer