GUS

My dog drank an entire cup of coffee

My pup is 7months and near 20lbs, I left the room for a moment and he managed to drink an entire cup of coffee that was on my table. It was NOT decaf and I have heard it can be harmful to dogs...Any ideas on what I should do? Is it worthy of a vet visit?

Asked by GUS on Nov 10th 2009 Tagged coffee in Health & Wellness

Answers

I would at least call the vet and inquire... an average cup of coffee contains around 75mg of caffeine, and your pup is pretty small, so I'd personally do something about it...

I had a coffeee drinker too.She was a small dog looked kind of like gus, only a black version. She was okay. She stole it more than once too. She was a good girl, but she loved a good cup of coffee and wasn't above climbing on chairs to get to the table or counter.Neve did figure out why she was so crazy about coffee. I didn't LET her drink it, but lets face it, when you leave your cup of coffe on the table, it IS hard to remember to pull all the chairs away.She wouldn't bother food either, just coffee.I wouldn't advise giving your dog coffee, but I know Doodad stole it quite a few times with no ill effects.
I got this from the link below:
Coffee contains a xanthine compound the same compound found in chocolate theobromine that is toxic in sufficient quantities.
www.mybuddydog.com
notice the quantities, , your dog would need to drink a LOT of coffee (3 oz dry = about a quart). Look at the other surprising poisons things like raw poultry bones and raw salmon+trout

Chanel (Rehomed)

I think he'll be fine.Make a call to the vet if your really worried, or if any changes occur in his behavior.

But, I think the most you have to worry is, how HYPER he might get, haha! just kidding! :)

Chanel (Rehomed) answered on 11/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer