Caspian

My dog drags me down the street

I have tried The Gental Leader (a head collar), a harness, a choke chain, and just a collar. None work. Any suggestions? (I will not use The Gental Leader again because he scratched his eye and got an infection trying to get in off.)

Asked by Caspian on May 28th 2013 Tagged leashwalking in Leash Walking

Answers

Maybe you need to get some trainer for him Sometimes as well said "One must train ones dog Before it trains the owner" and the best thing to avoid that is to get him to some professional trainer and also to some veterinary pharmacist for further assistance on that.

Use a body harness.

It’s important to note that tugging on a collar is a danger to dogs on a physical level. Due to their determination to be a pack leader, they are going to tug with the full force of their body in order to be in the lead. What happens is that a collar will dig into their neck, restricting the airway (trachea) and causing slight damage. While it may start out as coughing and wheezing, over time this can wear down their airway, especially with larger dogs that have more weight to tug with.

For this reason, the use of a body harness will help during the training process. These are relatively inexpensive – usually about the cost of a collar, and will displace the force of the leash across their chest rather than solely on their neck (it’s still necessary to use a leash for their tags and license).

Don't forget to use commands and treats. When your dog tries to pull, say "stop" or "stay".

The best thing for you to do would be to enroll in a training class. You might need to use a prong collar on your dog for a while just to teach him how to walk on a leash without pulling. They will show you how to fit the collar and how to use it.

The pulling is very dangerous for the dog and you. The money you spend on a training class is well worth it to avoid being pulled down the road, into the path of a car or just knocked down and dragged.

You don't need drugs or a prong collar. What you need is patience & consistent positive training.
Load up your pockets with a yummy treat..think steak, chicken, cheese, hot dogs..cut into tiny pieces.
Say "let's walk" in a happy voice, & step off. As soon as he pulls, you stop. You may only go 3 steps, but stop & wait. Eventually he will look at you, or come back to find out why you aren't moving. As soon as you feel the slack..mark & reward. Then start again. Repeat, repeat.
You want to build the association of pull-walk stops; no pull=walk continues.
If he walks beside you..even for 2 steps, mark/reward.
This takes time. You may only get to the end of the driveway in an hour the first few times. Keep at it. There is no magic solution or tool that will replace consistent training.
Harnesses can actually increase pulling. Chokes & prongs need to be used correctly. If you don't know what you're doing, don't use them.
A training class could help. You have a few posts about his behavior.

Go with Wiley's suggestion, it works quite well but you need patience.

Sandy

The advice above is good. I use martingales because I have a sight hound. They r the collars greyhounds use. I think they give u good control, better than a regular collar, but u cannot leave them on if u r not walking because of the loop. You hook your leash to the loop on the collar.

Sandy answered on 5/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lexi

A good trainer to implement proper walking behavior and teach you how to continue it, plus I've had great success with Easy Walk harnesses (where the clip for the leash is on the front chest area, not the back, therefore you control the front of the dog's body without the injury risk that comes with head-control options such as the Gentle Leader - which shouldn't be used as a training device anyways, due to risk of neck injuries, but rather just for general control for those who have dogs that may be stronger than they are)

Lexi answered on 5/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dogs are not born trained...it is a continual work in progress and takes time and effort. With the age of your dog and the number of things you have tried, you have not used any of those training aids long enough to see any results.
With all the behavior issues you seem to be having with Caspian I would STRONGLY suggest you enroll yourself and him in a good, positive based training program where someone who is a professional can watch you and give you hands on help.
There is no way any of us can tell you how to train your dog over the internet...it is something which requires observation and continual work. More important than what collar or leash or whatever you use is your relationship with your dog and this can best be developed by participating in a class with a knowledgeable instructor. The price of the class is probably less than you have spent on training aids so far and a good class will help you solve most of the issues you are posting about here.

Roxy Rapheal

I'd only use a harness.
Take the dog out with a pocket full of treats and when dog is hungry.
Learn how to teach good leash manners and work with him daily.
Treats will help keep the dogs attention on you during the walk. They can help with simple leash walking ques as well. Use lots of praise.
I got my dog to stop pulling on leash by applying this after techniques I learned from an awesome youtube video. I went through three before I found one that worked. Treats helped a lot. (Careful not to over feed) Not all techniques will work for all dogs so try a few until you find one that works for your dog.
Remain relaxed, confident and always in control. Always walk before dog's meal times.

Roxy Rapheal answered on 5/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SNEAKERS

HA HA, that's what you get for having a ridgeback x bullmastiff mix! :D

But, don't presume there is disparity, where none exists.

Wiley is a "Class Act" when it comes to knowledge about Dogs. We're on another Forum together, and though I apply socialization a little differently, I agree with the recommended Professional Training approach completely.

SNEAKERS answered on 5/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Of the four items you bought the only one that will work is a choke collar. The choke collar should not be called that because people assume that choking the dog is what is going to correct the problem. The chok collar was orrigionally called a "check collar" To check is to correct. That collar should snap closed and open quickly making a correction otherwise it should remain open and free around a dogs neck. When used properly with a loose leash your dog should walk right along side of you. Preferably on the left.. Hire a professional dog trainer to teach you how to use your equiptment properly. Please use a professional trainer and stay away from those $40 obedience classes so you can learn what is the correct equiptment to have and the proper way to use it.