jimbo

my dog doesn't want to eat dog food. what should i do?

here is the situation. i used to feed my dog dog food and he really loves it. but my father told me that it is too much for a dog to be treated like that. he said that i feed my dog with people food. so i did it although i don't want it. 1 year passed by and i am still feeding him people food. but recently, i read that some of our food are not good for dogs. i worry for my dog and bought some dog food. the one that i used to give him. but he doesn't eat it. he'll just smell then eat a couple of pieces then ignore it. and this is my problem now. what should i do? i am just a 17 year old student but i can afford to buy dog food. it is just that my father would get angry if i buy dog food for my dog because he kept thinking that it is too much. are there some people food that i can feed my dog with? this is just my first time raising a dog so i don't still have enough knowledge for my dog to be healthy. please answer. thank you in advance and God Bless us.

Asked by jimbo on Mar 29th 2011 Tagged food in Pet Food

Answers

Many dogsters feed homecooked food to their dogs. There is a forum dedicated to nutrition/calories/recipes & advice. Try reading some threads over there to see what you can do at home. Folks there are friendly & know tons about nutritional components.

Well, since you can't really change your situation, I would keep feeding him what you have been, but avoid the things that are poisonous to dogs (onions in large amounts, grapes in large amounts, chocolate or macadamia nuts in small amounts, etc.) He probably doesn't want the dog food because the people food is tastier. Dog food wasn't even invented until the 20th century, dogs have been eating "people food" for thousands of years before that, and did okay for the most part.

Truly I'm mystified why your dad doesn't want him to eat dog food- dog food is INCREDIBLY cheap compared to people food- my dog can eat dogfood for 25 cents a day, and I'm sure my food costs about 3 dollars per day or more (when I eat at home and cook from scratch.) So dog food is a lot more economical.