Jim

My dog doesn't obey commands outdoor or off leash

My 5 Month Old GSD male puppy knows and obey well "Sit", "Stand", "Catch", "Check hand" commands. He obeys when he is indoor and in leash (Except Catch). But when he is outdoor, he don't obey any command... I am a first time dog owner, so please advice me what to do..

Asked by Jim on Apr 14th 2012 Tagged germanshepherd, gsd, puppy, obey in Commands

Answers

Shasta

Mine sometimes get the same way [my 3 dogs are my first dogs also, so I sympathize ;)].

So, I would work with Jim outside in a nice quiet field, and keep him on a 20ft training-leash; he has the ability to not-obey me still, but he can't run off to go sniff bushes. Teach him "Look at me" (when you're inside, hold a tempting treat right in front of your face as you say "Look at me" and eventually he will look up to your face whenever you say that, that can help a lot. Anyways, when you're outside on-training-leash with him, work daily until he obeys very well. Then very very slowly add distractions [invite a friend & her dog to walk around maybe], and when you feel comfortable that he obeys on the leash, go back to a nice calm environment and start all over, this time off-leash.

I'm not sure how well that method would work, but it works very well at keeping my pooches' focus on me. :)

Best Regards! =D

Shasta answered on 4/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Great job working on Jim's manners. Most focus problems arise from moving too fast. Dogs do not generalize well. Sit in the kitchen does not translate to Sit in a field. Work on every command inside the house, in every room, including on & off leash heeling. Then move to your yard. Make sure you have 100% compliance before you move to the next step. After he is reliable on & off leash in the back yard, move to the front yard. Then to an empty field. You get the picture.
It is super important you get this now, because in about 3 or 4 months Jim will be a teenager. He will *forget everything he ever learned & be a bonafide pain in the rear until he is about 2 or 3 years old!
Use positive training in a firm, consistent manner. Gsds do NOT respond well to heavy-handed discipline or yelling. Try to read as much as you can about this wonderful breed. I have had gsds for over 30 yrs. I strongly believe they are the best dog in the world, I also firmly believe they are NOT a good first dog

he should be on leash at all time unless he is in a fenced area. A puppy has a short memory at this stage in life. A shepherd is known for it's loyality and high intelligence, but the trusting of off leash is later in his life stages when you know he is not thinking about so many smells and things out there to distract him. Check out this website www.germanshepherddog.com
clubs for gsds are great. a great place to get involved with owners who have owned several. you should use a long tether outside to teach the recall(come) commands. at first always a reward. I use tethers for the life of a dog if its safer then trusting the dog to run out in a road. I also focus on working in short intervals like 10 min.15 min. and they get puppy time too, to do what is fun not just all work no play :) make training fun with toys and food :)

I had a simalar problem with my Doberman, but he wouldnt listen to anything of even in house nor on a leash and he was very hard to control . So I tried puppy classes and some odd trainers here and there and nothing was working. So I tired a stimulation collar (I know some people don't appove of this method) but nothing was working . and since then he's been awesome dog and listen very well .. And now I can walk him off leash even without the collar ..

Seth

At 5 months they are still just a baby and may not be mature enough to understand. Just keep up with the training and do not get discouraged. I have been there , and they do come around.

Seth answered on 4/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer