Jazmine

my dog doesn't like my new puppy

my current dog literally hates our new puppy. we've had Khloe for about 3 weeks now and Jazmine doesn't want to have anything to do with her. she growls at her if she comes near her, has snapped a couple of times. and she's afraid to play with her (Khloe is a chi/mix) and i think jazmine is terrified of her. what can i do to get these kids to get along. thanks

Asked by Jazmine on Oct 21st 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Dogs do not 'hate' one another. It is, rather, that you did not properly introduce the two when you brought home the new puppy, and now your current dog is feeling as though the puppy is stealing her space. She is snapping at her because she is getting too close. This is very typical of an older dog to do to a puppy to let the puppy know 'hey, you're in my space.' The behavior, however, should be discouraged. You also need to make sure that you are setting rules for your puppy as well. She needs to learn her boundaries with you as well as your other dog. She can't just harass the other dog into playing with her because that is why they aren't playing now. It isn't that they are afraid of one another, but rather that Jazmine is unsure of her because she was never really introduced to her in a proper way. How old is your new puppy? If she is old enough, take them both for a walk, or even just down the block together if the puppy is too young. Getting them together in a place where it is neutral to Jazmine will deter her from being territorial with the puppy. You need to discipline Jazmine for getting aggressive with the puppy, and make sure that you are disciplining the puppy for getting too rambunctious with Jazmine. Please message me if you have any questions, or need more help.

Sadie

I am having the same problem. I have two chi's that do not like my 9 month old yorkie Sadie at all. I feel very sorry for her and almost feel like getting another puppy for her. My husband won't let me though. Listen to Sergeant. She has helped me so much with my problems. I am glad you posted this because her answer helps me too. Good luck and thanks Sergeant.

Sadie answered on 10/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Same with my dogs. My German Shepherd was not socialized well as a puppy and the result is that she can get "grumpy" around other dogs. Not only was she not socialized, but the dog that she lived in her previous "owner's" back-yard with was "mean" to her.
When I got another dog last year, I found out that Cookie prefers to be an "only dog".
To have them get along, I taught Cookie to leave Treader alone when I say "no". I praise Cookie and give her the attention she wants only when she behaves. Treader eventually learned to steer clear of Cookie.

Romeo

She doesn't hate your puppy. She does not know your puppy yet. Jasmine was the first dog you had, and her house was her own territory. Since you brought the Khloe home, Jasmine feels like her territory has been invaded by Khloe, and Jasmine is not getting all the attention to herself anymore. It's going to take some time for them to adjust to each other and for things to settle down. Just keep giving Jasmine, the attention you were giving her before. Make sure that you always supervise the both of them and never leave them alone together, until you know for a fact, that you are not going to have any aggression problems with either of them. Once things settle down a little bit and they get more used to each other, I can almost guarantee you 100%, that they will become the best of friends and inseparable. Just have a little more patience! They will be fine, in time!

Romeo answered on 10/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer