Bella

My dog doesn't have any nipples, does this have to do with her being neutered at a young age?

Asked by Bella on Jul 8th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

McKayla

First of all, if your dog is a female, she would not have been NEUTERED. That is what happens to males. Females are SPAYED. A generic term for both of the procedures is "altered".

Second, all dogs have nipples, and that includes males. You usually won't see "obvious" nipples on a female unless she has had a litter. Are those the nipples you are referring to?

My female was spayed after 1 year of age, due to her previous owner(s) not having her spayed. The shelter spayed her. I can barely see any nipples through her fur (though her fur is black), but I can feel them from time to time when I rub her underside.

Age and when the dog was spayed has nothing to do with the visual acuity of said nipples. Each dog is different, and some nipples be a bit more visible than others.

9 times out of 10 when you see the droopy nipples on a female dog, she has had puppies. Sometimes they "retract" back up, and other times, they will always be more noticeable than others.

McKayla answered on 7/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am sure the dog has them, I agree that they just be coveed with hair and not as easy to see. You just may need to look a bit harder to find them if you really think you need to find them.

The correct word when referring to EITHER castrating or spaying is neutering. Castrating is neutering a male dog by removing the testes, spaying is neutering a female dog by removing the uterus and ovaries. Altering is a slang term used to describe neutering.
That said, if a female (or male) dog is neutered at a young age then the nipples are not apt to show much development, however, all mammals have nipples, whether male or female.