My dog does not let anyone cut his nails, we have taken him to the vet and every groomer they were all unsuccessful?HELP

It is impossible to cut his nails, the vet tried to even sedate him and it didn't work. I am totally out of resources. Help I am desperate

Asked by Member 788523 on Jan 7th 2009 Tagged nails in Grooming

Answers

Lily

Does he let you guys file them? Or you can take him on walks on concrete. That will help to file them down some. Maybe you could take him to a fenced tennis court and throw a ball for him so he runs back and forth across the rough concrete. That's all I can think of if cutting is completely out of the question.

Lily answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rosie

We have a Rot/Huskie mix - only 40 pounds, but with attitude regarding nail trimming. The only solution we've found is to muzzle her in order to trim her nails. She has no other choice but to submit.

Rosie answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pw. Tasselhoff Burrfoot C.G.C.

Have you tried using a dremel instead of clippers? My dogs do much better with a dremel.

A trick I have heard of but never tried is to smear some peanut butter on the wall and trim the nails while the dog is occupied by the peanut butter. To begin with just do one or two nails and then do a couple more the next day or later that evening.

Pw. Tasselhoff Burrfoot C.G.C. answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brody

Mommy took us to a groomer to have our nails trimmed several months ago. The groomers were rough and quicked every nail. Since then, we've hated nail trimming. Mommy bought a Pedi Paws. She began by showing us the device every day, letting us sniff it, and put it next to our feet, touching our paws; while offering us yummy treats ( treats we only get during nail trimming). A few days later mom turned the device on, holding it near our feet and giving us treats and lots of verbal praise. We were scared and ran away at first. She did this for a few days, until we became comfortable with it. Next, she touched our nails with the device off, we got lots of treats and praise, even we did it for a second. A week later, mom turned the device on and touched our nail with it. After a few weeks, our nails are manicured. Nail trimming is a good experience now, not a frightening cause mom was patient and worked with us for a few minutes every day until we finally stopped being scared.

Brody answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Stormy

How can sedation not work? If they gave him enough he should have been knocked out! If they can give enough to cut dogs open for surgery you might want to ask how much they actually gave him or what they gave him!!

I do like the tennis court idea, running on hard surfaces will help. I would NOT suggest buying a "Pedi-Paws" nail trimmer only because if your dog hates having his nails trimmed he will not hold still. You have to be able to stick your dogs nail through a hole to reach the grinding band. And for big dog's nails it is not really powerful enough to get through thicker hard nails.
Dremels are great, Oster makes a nail grinder.. just anything thats got some kick to it!! And acclimate the dog to it.
But I imagine the groomers and vet have tried a grinder...
Will he let you use a people nail clipper or nail file?

Only other thing I would suggest is just WORK on having his feet touched. Desensitize his feet. Poke in his pads and between his toes daily. Play with his feet

Stormy answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Royal Bentley Deeogee

I went to grooming school. My advice to you is to do this. When your dog is in a relaxed state of mind sit him on the sofa or bed with you. Pet him and love him. Take one paw and feel his paw for as long as he'll let you. Do this every day. He need to associate the handeling of the paws with something good not bad. For your dog to be this bad either of two things have happened. He's have a really bad experience with neail cutting in the past or his nails may be so long they are hurting him when he walks. Get him use to having them handled one at a time. It will take some time but it will work if you try hard enough. Then clip a nail or two at a time. You don't have to do all four paws or evey nail on a paw. Praise him and give him a treat he loves when you suceed on clipping one nail. He needs to see this as fun and not terror. Some dogs are worse than others. You can even file them down a little at a time with a hard nail file used for false nails. I have use the black ones.

Royal Bentley Deeogee answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well,
My dog is the same. It is SUPER hard to do clip them. All you have to do is give him time but if that does not work try getting Motor Clippers that should calm him down. Again if that does not work just ask a person that your dog really loves and let them try if any of these do not work write me a message.
Love,
Chachi ( The Chihuahua

Holly Belle

I am in the exact process right now that Brody has described. I'm a 5 month old puppy and my front nails are getting really long. My mom bought a Pedi Paws but I'm afraid of it. She gives me my favorite tiny bits of Pupperoni (YUM!) when I let her manipulate my toe pads and nails, when I sniff and leave alone the Pedi Paw, when she makes it buzz and holds it against the top, bottom or side of my paw without filing anything. I know she's planning on continuing with this positive reinforcement until I'm no longer afraid of getting my nails trimmed. Truthfully, I'm just holding out on her to get more pupperoni!

Holly Belle answered on 2/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer