Rolo

My dog destroys all his toys! Any ideas for safe toys that will last longer than 1 hour?

My Jack Russelle mix is an aggressive chewer. He destroyed a tire biter bone (which is labeled industructable) in 1 hour and got really sick from it. He destroyed the black kong in 1 hour too. He tore apart a piece of firemans hose that was suppose to be durable and industructable. The only toys that have lasted are the galileo bone and another bone from that company. He's bored of those bones. He has stuffed toys that I rotate to keep him busy but they do not last with him. He now has the outer shell of all the stuffed animals. I looked for new tough toys, but I can't find any. He eats nylabones, and any tennis balls in minutes. He also eats ropes. I'm scared he will get sick off them or tie up his insides. He eats everything, socks, stuffing string. Any ideas to keep him busy with toys that are safe and will last for more than 1 hour?

Asked by Rolo on Mar 19th 2008 Tagged toys in Toys

Best Answer

Tempi

I really like Teaser Balls by Jolly ball, they're a good indoor/outdoor toy and can really take a beating; Tempi has had hers for many years, and it is of course broken in half from her thrashing it, the ball has been taken out, etc. But she still loves to play with it, and has loads of fun. I just got Remington his first Teaser Ball too, and he has two sizes - the 6 inch and the 10 inch - he loves them.

Another good idea I might suggest is Tuffies -they are tested on tigers and many people have great success with them. I'm not sure whether or not you can buy them in a store, it's possible they're only available online - but with your problem, I would certainly give it a try. And if one works, go for another, and maybe another to keep the shapes and sizes varying.

Best of luck!

Tempi answered on Mar 21st.

Answers

Millie ~In Loving Memory~

www.dogster.com read this question it is a bit similar to your situation

Millie ~In Loving Memory~ answered on 3/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Snoopy has the same problem (and he's a JRT too!).
My uncle doesn't get him toys anymore because they constantly have to be replaced.
I wouldn't recommend that though.
The toys that stay around the longest for Snoopy is socks.

Nemo the Underdog

Lucky has the same problem. Try goingto your local meat market and asking for marrow bones. They're good for pups and they truely enjoy them! And they're real bones that they use for soups & stuff. Freeze 'em and let them have it! And try getting a bigger one.
Good luck

Nemo the Underdog answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Like I said on the other thread, Kongs ROCK! My Buddie is a power chewer too. She can actually PEEL the skin off a tennis ball. BOL

Hard rubber toys are your best bet. Some toys will actually have on the label "for power chewers."

Miss Buddie answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Try a kong. They are virtually indestructable if you get the correct size for your dog. They have many to choose from.

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI

I have to agree with KONGS and hard rubber types. Abby will demolish anything that is stuffed or has a squeaky in it in something like 2.2 seconds or so! Like the above poster she, and Shadow too, can peel the skin off of tennis balls, soft balls and base balls. I have a set of Invicable Rings (sorry, I don't know who they are made by but I got them at PetSmart) and Abby has had them for a couple years now. The two of them play tug of war with them. They really take a lickin' I wouldn't be without them. Do you ever give Rolo rawhides or rolled pork twists? Those seem to mellow out the chewing in my two labs at least a little.

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer