My dog coughs/hacks while jerking head forward like something is stuck in throat. Any ideas?

He will cough/hack like he sometimes does when he has eaten grass and it is stuck in his throat or bothering him. But when he has these "episodes" he does this repeatedly for about 15-20 minutes, looks panicked, and sometimes vomits. He also licks the floor and will try to eat objects, such as pieces of leaves in the entryway near the door. One time he ripped apart a decorative pillow and ate some fabric, then threw it up. If I take him outside he will frantically eat a lot of grass-way more than he normally would. Im wondering if it's hair stuck in his throat since he does frequently lick his paws and legs (which I think is because of anxiety issues). Thinking this might be serious and I should see a vet??

Asked by Member 1151853 on Jan 25th 2013 Tagged hacking, headjerking, hairstuckinthroat in Health & Wellness

Answers

My Chihuahua is coughing and hacking a lot too, so I talked to our Vet this morning and he said it could be kennel cough. Dogs can get it from being around other dogs. If your dog has kennel cough then it will need antibiotics to make it better.
My Vet also said that it is unlikely that my dog has it since she wasn't around any other dogs but ours, but not impossible.

Yes have the vet check him out.

My dog also hacks/coughs several times a day...... Does your dog have a running nose or is it really cold? He might be suffering from common cold.... Do visit a vet for better views... Regards