My dog bites herself, what do i do?

I have a 1 year old Lemon Beagle, and she always bites herself. We had a cone on her, but she uses the cone to scratch herself. We put her outside because we couldn't handle her. A couple days after we put her outside she broke the cone off of her, we left it off. So far she has only been biting her legs, bottom area, and scratching behind her ears. We want to bring her in, but don't want to deal with her biting all the time. What do i do? My brother says its because its a habit, but i don't know. Please give answers. Also i don't have money for a vet.

Asked by Member 1069213 on Nov 7th 2011 Tagged skinproblems, habits, biting, scratching in Allergies

Answers

Is she on a flea preventative like Frontline, Advantage, or Comfortis? Fleas are sneaky, and some dogs are so sensitive that they itch all over, for days, after a SINGLE bite, so preventative is essential.

Another parasite that causes itching is scabies, called sarcoptic mange. These little beasties burrow into the skin and cause horrible itching. Flea treatments don't kill them, you have to go to the vet for the big guns of parasite control.

The next common cause of itching is allergies. Food allergies often cause itching in dogs, you might have to feed her a hypoallergenic diet (free of corn, wheat, soy, chicken, and beef) to end the torment. Dogs can also be allergic to grass, pollen, dust mites, and other things. They can react to chemicals used in your house or on your lawn too.

I would treat her for fleas first, get a vet checkup to rule out mange or a skin condition, and then try a hypoallergenic diet if those steps didn't help.

Imagine how you would feel if you had terrible itching and the only thing someone did for you was put something over your head so you couldn't scratch. In my opinion, that is extremely cruel for the poor dog.
She needs to see a veterinarian and find out WHY she is that itchy. Putting her outside only adds more cruelty to the poor dog, IMO. There is no way she will be able to stop scratching UNTIL the cause of her agony is found and treated.
Please, if you cannot properly care for this poor dog give her up to a rescue or shelter where she can get properly treated and end the torment of being constantly itchy.
Living as she is now is not only unfair to her, it also borders on animal cruelty!

HI,
Other then the other two answers shared which BTW I agree with 100%.
I say find an orginization that will be willing to help your dog since finances are an issue at this time for you.

Search the internet for your dogs breed and I'm sure you'll find rescue and help orginizations that will assist you.
Best of luck

PS, please, don't leave him outside alone that is cruel and he doesn't understand why he's outside alone