Baya

My dog attacks other dogs pretty violently.

My dog attacks other dogs. It is pretty violent and I have to pull her off other dogs. She is an Alaskan Malamute. Sometimes it seems without cause, but most of the time it is another dog growling at her or coming close to one of her chew bones or she thinks she is getting food. I don't know what to do. I can pull her off other dogs, but my wife and mother are too weak or afraid to do it. What can they do? What can we do to keep her from doing it? Also, these are dogs in the same house and not strange dogs.

Asked by Baya on Feb 28th 2010 in Aggression

Answers

Are they females??? And, is she and are they spayed??? If not, that may help. Many female dogs can be "bitches", especially when it comes to other females. I would certainly do everything within my power to keep these dogs separate when you aren't there to break up a fight... these fights can become vicious and lead to severe injury or even death, to the other dogs and even to you if not very careful breaking up the fights. If I couldn't keep her separated from the others, I would probably rehome her to a single dog home, but you may also contact a good behaviorist and, if you are willing to work hard, you may help lower the incidence of the fights. Good luck!!

Can you keep her in a pen or in an area til you get home.?
I would seperate a dog that is aggressive like this.
Yes, are they spayed females or all females.
Females tend to fight with one another.
Also if the bone is just laying there the dog is doing what she should protect her object cause it belongs to her. You should pick the bone up and not let her have it all the time.
And second, bones like that are bad for the teeth, weight bearing bones can shatter teeth.
Pick up all the dog toys and the bones.
Exercise your dogs more! The dogs could be fighting out of boredom and just guarding certain parts of the property from one another cause they have nothing to do.
If you have chew time place them each in a crate and give them a black kong stuffed with peanut butter, when they are done, pull the kongs up off the floor or bottom of the crate.
I Always have a box on top of my refrigerator that is for dog toys and kongs. If they want one down they go out and I play with one dog