Guest

My dog ate rat poison how long will she live?Will she survive? :(


Asked by Member 787551 on Jan 4th 2009 Tagged health in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

PRINCESS PEPSI LITTLETOWN

take her to a vet asap...
they have afterhours vets in the phone book


PRINCESS PEPSI LITTLETOWN answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Vance CGC

Not very long, depending on how much she ate. If you didn't go to the vet right away, it may already be too late. Once it gets in their system, their organs start shutting down. Still, go to the vet ASAP. Even if it's too late to save her, you can end her suffering.


Vance CGC answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer


Cupid Forever Loved  '00/'08

Your question leaves me speechless. Did you even take her to the vet? If you had, I'm sure you wouldn't be asking us this question.The vet's office would have given you an immediate prognosis and, they would have kept her either for treatment or for euthanasia to keep her from further suffering. May I suggest that you consider not getting another pet.


Cupid Forever Loved '00/'08 answered on 1/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer


Jack

Rat poison is a high potency blood thinner and causes death by internal bleeding.

This is why dogs who eat rat poision very often die.

If your dog eats rat poision, or any other type of poision, it is your responsibility as the dog's owner to take that do to your vet or an emergency animal hospital as soon as you possibly can.

It's very possible that your dog could survive, but without treatment, it's very dire.

Please understand that it's very hard to tell from your question if you have already taken her to the vet. You may well have already had her treated, in which case, it's a waiting game. Keep in close contact with the vet and let them know of any new symptoms.

If you HAVEN'T done so already, please take your dog in to the vet. If she has any chance of survival, it will be bettered by good medical care and you'd be doing her a huge disservice by not taking her in immediately.

Good luck, I hope she pulls through.


Jack answered on 1/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Chanel (Rehomed)

Take her to a vet!!!


Chanel (Rehomed) answered on 1/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


lucky charm

Are you serious you are actually asking what you should do for your dog after your dog ate rat poison? The dog should be treated by a vet immediately. Even small amounts of Rat poison can kill your dog! This is one of those questions that makes me wonder why some people have dogs. It is your responsibility to watch your dog and make sure your dog doesnt get into something that can cause the dog harm. It is also the dog owners responsibility to get medical attention for the dog when it is needed. I hope you listened to some of the other people that answered your question and got your dog medical attention! If something happened to your dog as a result of eating rat poison and you did not get your dog medical attention you should be charged with animal neglect.


lucky charm answered on 1/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Yoshi

We realized Yoshi ate rat poison and rushed him to the hospital tonight. He was treated within 45 mins of his ingesting the poison. A tablet was administered in his eye to induce vomitting within minutes. Some food was also given to aid the process. After vomitting he was given a substance liquid charcoal which was mixed in with a bowl of food for easy ingestion. The charcoal absorbs what rat poison is left in his stomach. We must repeat the liquid charcoal in 4 hrs. Tomorrow we are due back for a blood test to check how much poison was actually absorbed into his body. If the test comes back positive then we must take a prescription of Vitamin K for 6 weeks. The poison thins out blood & causes internal bleeding. The vitamin K helps with blood clot & helps reverse the blood from thinning. If the blood test comes back negative, then a second test is taken the next day just to confirm the first test. We're so grateful that we found out on time, others may not be so fortunate.


Yoshi answered on 9/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer