My dog ate chocolate cake, what do I do?

So i made a devil's food cake and put it in the microwave to keep one of my dogs that has a habit of getting food off the counter from getting it. Well my sis ended up taking it out and forgot to put it back in and needless to say the cake is now gone. Is this enought to seriously harm him or just cause an upset stomach? He's around 80 lbs i believe. What should I do?

Asked by Member 1153347 on Feb 2nd 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I would call an emergency vet and ask them what kind of symptoms to look for. Good Luck!

Chase

I agree, call a vet!
Today Chase managed to escape from her kennel (while wearing a cone no less!) while we were out grocery shopping. She ate about a dozen chocolate chip cookies and half a brick of cheese. Because of her size (65lbs) and the amount of food she ate the office told me to just keep an eye on her and if she started vomiting or acting lethargic to bring her in.
A whole chocolate cake is a bit different, though.

Chase answered on 2/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It depends.

Cocoa and baking chocolate have the strongest toxiticy in dogs

Semisweet Choc and milk choc. is ok as long as he does'nt have a intake higher than 14oz