Guest

my dog ate a sock! what do i do?

my dog found my sock on the ground, pick it and swallowed it! is she gonne be ok?


Asked by Member 327283 on Feb 8th 2008 in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • This question is closed.


Answers

Marlowe, CGC

That's really hard to say. I'd call your vet ASAP and ask whether this is a situation in which it is okay to induce vomiting (which can be done with a normal household substance that I'm not going to tell you about because you really need to call your vet first to check). It depends on a lot of things whether or not it's the right thing to do that--what the object swallowed was, how long ago, health and size of dog, etc.....

But socks are well-known to cause intestinal blockages, and that requires surgery. So this is serious and you do need to call your vet immediately.


Marlowe, CGC answered on 2/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Miss Buddie

Agreeing with Marlowe. My Buddie has a bad habit of swallowing stuff too and we have been on the phone with the vet countless times. Sometimes making them vomit is okay, sometimes not. Call the vet and see what they say.


Miss Buddie answered on 2/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Bella

I would call the vet, but just to make you feel better Bella has eaten countless socks, underwear and once even a plastic bag! and it has always come out the other end the next day without problems.


Bella answered on 2/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Dante

How big is the dog? I know of a 65 lb pit that ate a large tube sock and the vet told them not to induce vomiting because quite a bit of time had passed by the time they called. Problem is, it can cause an obstruction and blockage while moving to the small intestine which will cause death if not treated, and is still over a thousand dollars to treat by cutting the sock out of the small intestine. The dog actually strained and threw up for a few hours and finally passed the sock when he pooped later that night. These owners got really lucky, and yes it is possible for the dog to pass it eventually, but they took a HUGE risk by not taking him to the vet. I've seen dogs die from obstructions caused by much smaller things so to be on the safe side, you should take him in for an x-ray and evaluation. Your vet won't induce vomiting if too much time has passed but I've had to induce vomiting on a Dobie that ate an inner shoe sole with no problems-only if it's shortly after they eat something


Dante answered on 2/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Koda

Koda used to swallow socks whole as a puppy. Usually he would throw them up before the next day when our appointment at the vet was. Ipecac will work for both kids and dogs if you give it to them within a certain number of hours after they swallow the object. You can also use peroxide to get the dog to throw up. Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
To induce vomiting after accidental ingestion of a poison.

1 Tbls. per 10 Lbs
Up to 3 times, 10 minute intervals, until vomiting occurs if you chose to use the peroxide you have to monitor the dog carefully keep checking them for signs of "bloat". I know a couple people who did the peroxide method and no GDV/ "bloat" occurred but it is a risk just like with any chemical you give your dog.


Koda answered on 2/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer