Troika

My dog at times will cough up yellow bile. He is eating fine, when should I get concerned?

I feed Canidae food which has no corn meal, and he eats very little treats although I offer them to him.

Asked by Troika on Sep 23rd 2007 in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Jack had this problem when he was a puppy.

Bascially, the yellow bile is a sign of an empty stomach. Some dogs, like Jack, will vomit up the bile if they go too long without eating. The empty stomach sort of churns around and the strong acids will end up being regurgitated.

I would take Troika to the vet for a checkup, to make sure, but you might find that feeding him so that he doesn't go too long in between feedings might work.

Our vet told us to give Jack 1/2 a pepcid to help him out, but he only took those for a few weeks before getting better.

Adjusting his schedule so he had a treat or small amount of food in his tummy before bedtime and right after waking has virtually eliminated this problem.

Jack answered on Sep 23rd.

Answers

Jasmine

I would get concerned if it happens on a regular basis. Definitely talk to your vet (for reassurance, if nothing else) if it occurs weekly.

Also go immediately to the vet if there is ever blood in it.

Does he eat quickly or guzzle water immediately after eating? Does he eat soon before or after exercise? They *might* be triggers, but you'll want to ask your vet.

Jasmine answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

★ Panda ★

I'm not sure if your food has chicken or beef in it, but some dogs are allergic to chicken and beef. Maybe try a lamb and rice formula?
My dog does this when she eats grass. Is he eating grass?

★ Panda ★ answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Henry

Has he gotten a hold of any plastic (easily ditructable) toys. Henry had that problem for over a month until finaly one day a small piece of plastic toy came up and we never saw the yellow bile again.

Henry answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Oreo

I agree with Jack, for me I had it when I had an empty stomach, but Mom thinks what helped me do away with it was also having set mealtimes during the day, (we eat Wellness).

Also, when we moved into our new house it happened on a daily basis as a morning surprise but eventually stopped when I got used to our new living arrangements. I was nervous because half of our family wasn't around too...so I guess my sensitivity went all to my stomach :)

Anything new to your life?

Oreo answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jazzy (:

Does your dog eat grass or chew on rawhide bones a lot?
Jazzy does all the time...that's usually when she throws up...that's when I take away the rawhides and I go outside with her to make sure she doesn't eat grass...
If your dog eats grass that usually means their stomach is upset...when ever Jazzy's stomach is upset I give her bread, a little bit of milk, and sugar...but not too much!
Hope my answer helps!
Natalie and Jazzy

Jazzy (: answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red

Bright yellow bile in the morning is a signe of an empty stomach. Jack is not on a very timely diet cause he eats with us but I didnt realize this might B it. Dont wory.

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red answered on 9/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer