My dog, Alice, (German Shorthair Pointer 8 years old) recently started growling at my girlfriend.

Alice started growling at my girlfriend at night while she tucks her in for bed. "Tucking in" as it laying down next to her petting, and then a kiss goodnight on top of the head. She has never ever growled in the past, only in the past two weeks. We treat Alice just like a child and she is very affectionate and personable. Prior to this relationship (1 year), I raised Alice by myself for 7 years since she was an 8 week old puppy. So a "mother figure" is something new to her, but much needed. She cares for Alice so well and treats her like a little daughter. She is the primary parent that feeds her and lets her go potty, plays with her, nurture, etc.. The growling began 2 weeks ago, ironically around the time of some heated arguments in the household that she was exposed to.. She won't growl at all during the morning, or day.. Just when her mother goes to kiss her on the top of the head or pet her in close proximity the same way she has every night for the past. What could this be?

Asked by Member 1188916 on Sep 7th 2013 Tagged growling, germanshorthairpointer, relationship, behavior, protection, loyalty, energy, aging, mood in Aggression

Answers

Alice sees your lady friend as the source of the commotion, and maybe something happened when you were not home between them that made the dog upset. Your friend is NOT a mother, she is a female competing for attention with Alice, and Alice is probably feeling neglected by you. Furthermore, Alice may know something about this lady's personality that you don't. My animals have NEVER been wrong as to disliking someone I dated before I got to that point myself... they are VERY perceptive, and you should be listening to what Alice is trying to tell you. ^_^