My dane male is 8 1/2 months height is 31 . i am feeding him beef (morning) and nutripet india (evening). is it normal

feeding him sometime curd rice

Asked by Member 848731 on Aug 26th 2009 in Great Dane

Answers

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

He does sound large. Is 31" at the whithers?
Feeding Great Danes or any large breed must be done carefully with large breed food. Too much protein and the bones grow too fast. This can mean weak bones and a dog that is lame at an early age. Please see a good Vet about the proper nutrition for your dog.

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 8/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

At that age he will already have most of his adult size and growth will slow soon if not already. One of the best ways to assure the right nutrition for him now is to feed the adult version of one of the common brands. I am quite familiar with the excellent results service dog schools have feeding Iams or Pro Plan. If neither is available, Pedigree should be just as good. I doubt there is any data from large scale programs for the Nutripet or other premium foods.

As it came to light that puppy chow encouraged faster growth than large breed joints could keep up too, many found they did better with an early switch to adult food. Rather than lose their highly profitable puppy chow business, the dog food producers developed large breed puppy food. It is even more profitable since it closer to the adult food, but still sells for the higher puppy chow price. The closer it gets to adult food in everything but price, the more money they make. They will stop at nothing to sell it.

Is the beef cooked or raw? If you're feeding homecooked, which I don't know much about, you need to learn more about providing a balanced meal on a homeprepared diet.
If Nutripet is a pet food, then feeding him beef as a side won't hurt. I know some people on here who feed a homeprepared for one meal, and kibble for the next.

"One of the best ways to assure the right nutrition for him now is to feed the adult version of one of the common brands."
I disagree, once again, on the grounds that dogs are carnivores. Most of "the common brands" do not have much meat in them. Dogs don't need corn, or grain either.

" I am quite familiar with the excellent results service dog schools have feeding Iams or Pro Plan."
I've found that people settle for less because they think it's normal. They think it's normal for a dog to have bad breath, poop a lot, etc. I've avoided bad breath and more by feeding my Papillon mix a homeprepared diet. He doesn't poop nearly as much, either.
I've asked the GDA about those studies you claim your guide dog school has done. When I did it at first, I got their e-mail wrong, so I had to resend it tonight. I've never heard of those studies, but if they exist, maybe I'll learn something.