My dalmation is on Vetsulin can I give him regular insulin but just do the conversion for 100/40 ml's?

Ok-Im very concerned because I am under the impression that Insulin is Insulin. I have talked to 2 Vets that I do not no very well (did not call my reg Vet) in fear that they will fuss. It costs me 96.00 a month for him and why cant I just use regular insulin. Both of the vets I talked to have never used Vetsulin and use regular insulin when treating there patients. What is the difference? I understand that selling their products is a plus but right now in this day of time I can not afford the 100 and if I can treat him the same way with a regular non-prescription insulin from a pharmacy why shouldnt I? But again I will do what I have to do and if I have to buy the Vetsulin I will for the love of my dog and the fear of losing him. Please help me I am at my wits end with everyone trying to take money.

Asked by Member 911153 on Nov 6th 2009 Tagged diabetes in Diabetes

Answers

Sailor

You need to give your dog EXACTLY what your vet says. Regular Insulin that people take is short-acting & typically only given in small doses. It is usually given with very high blood sugars. If you give your dog an incorrect dose of this it can be FATAL. Only take the advice of your vet, this is something you don't want to mess up.

Sailor answered on 11/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

is your vet charging a "prescription fee" every time you pick up the insulin? I had a vet doing this to me when I had a dog on medication, the meds were $17 and the "fee" was $35. I found thid out when the vet couldn't get the meds(on back order) and I had to use the pharmacy. Guess what, I STUCK with the pharmacy, and got a new vet.They were EXACTLY the same pills (looked up the little number on the pills)from both sources, made by the SAME manufacturer, the SAME pills and the cost from the pharmacy was $12 for the meds. Cheaper than the vets price for just the meds. Every 6 months I needed a new script, but my boy needed check-ups anyway so I got the script. I'm not saying that it is ALWAYS the case, but you would be surprised at how many meds the vet sells you ARE human meds, especially the oral antibiotics. Also, call around and find out what the insulin you are using would cost from another vet. Vets are in business to make money, they are not a charity. People tend to forget that

Fritz

Your vet may well be padding the bill. How about calling the insulin manufacture? You could also have your dog looked at by one of the vets you talked to.

They could figure out the dose for you and the money saved would pay for the visit.

Honestly if your vet is padding the bill, you need a new vet anyway. Who knows what else he might do for a little extra $$$

Fritz answered on 11/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Echo

I would say have the vet that you spoke to check your animal out ! That way he could give you the exact amount that your dog needs !!! Also talk to your vet make sure you get all the hidden fees that are being charged !!

Echo answered on 11/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sagittarius-1997-9/16/09

My mom wishes she had seen this article in time to save me:
blogs.catster.com
I wason Vetsulin and I died 9/16, less than 5 months after being diagnosed. My mom considered switching me to NPH but didn't. She really wishes she had. I would switch if it were my decision!

Sagittarius-1997-9/16/09 answered on 11/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Insulin is not insulin. It also needs a RX no matter what. There is a 24 hour insulin for humans called Lantus. I don't know if it is safe for dogs.

Sam is at the Rainbow Bridge

I just had to purchase insulin for my Sammy and it was 87.50 for a 50 day supply. I don't know if you can shop around, but it might be worth it.

Sam is at the Rainbow Bridge answered on 3/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer