my cockapoo has a brown spot with missing hair on her left side. What is the that mean?

Asked by Member 1140232 on Nov 11th 2012 in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

I would have a vet check it out. It could be allergies or something more. Good Luck!

It could also be your dog may have been injuried in that spot such as a sting or bruise of some kind.

Did he/she recently get vaccinations? My dog has a permanent spot where her vaccination was where it's a patch of thick skin where no fur will grow. Banfield told me recently it was a common problem with a vaccine they were using at the time and they've since switched. (of course they didn't mention it at the time of her shots)

Otherwise, I'd look at allergies, dry skin (adding omega-3s to the diet), and check for mites.

Could it be an allergy to a new shampoo/soap/laundry detergent? Most allergies with dogs seem to be from food though. Have you switched her food lately?