Bella Chica

My chihuahua is having seizures, any idea what could be causing them?

She seems to know when it is going to happen because she will come to me and whine. Her body tenses, her arms shake and raise above her head. Heart rate increases, eryes are fixed and she crys.
She has had 4 in the past year, two occuring in the last month. Last nights seizure lasted the longest of any of them, it was about 10 minutes, seemed like forever.

Asked by Bella Chica on Nov 12th 2011 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Sometimes dogs just have seizures. They can be caused by several things. Is she on meds for it? If not, you really need to have her evaluated by a vet and get her on meds to control them. It can't be much fun for her. My Aunt has a Chihuahua that has seizures. She gets really scared and confused when she comes out of it. She has her on meds that have cut the frequency of them. Good Luck!

Could be genetic, could be something else. This is something that *needs* a vet's attention, honestly. Hope all goes well.

If she hasn't seen the vet, she really needs to go.

Maggie (I'm Moms Angel Now)

I know what you are going through. I have a husky who has seizures. It could be something in her environment that is causing them or she could have gotten into something that is causing them. Have your vet run a full blood panel to see what the issue could be. My husky started having hers when we moved into a house that had been used to make drugs by the former tenant. The vet put her on Primidone which didnt seem to help. She became less herself while on the meds so we took her off them and she is more normal and her seizures had dropped to a very few where she was having at least 2 every 20 days.

Maggie (I'm Moms Angel Now) answered on 11/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would definately get her to a vet. My chihuahua has seizures but she has hypoglycemia so she has them when her blood sugar gets low. When this happens I usually put a small dab of honey on her tongue then she's ok. There can be a lot of causes though with chihuahuas.