Chanelle

my chihuahua is 9 weeks old right now, and weighs about 1lb. im not sure how much to feed her.

my chihuahua is 9 weeks old right now, and weighs about 1lb. im not sure how much to feed her. the amount on the puppy food bag tells me 3/4 of a cup, but that seems a lot. i feed her less than half that amount. and also, her tummy seems to be a little big. is that normal?

Asked by Chanelle on Apr 10th 2009 Tagged feeding, health in Puppies

Answers

If her tummy is a little big, it could be parasites. I would take a stool sample to the vet and get it checked for worms.
3/4 of a cup sounds about right, depending on the food. What you can do is divide it up into 2-3 smaller meals a day. Then maybe her tummy won't get so big from one big meal.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The Pawsee

3/4 of a cup is a lot for a 1 lb. chihuahua. I would cut it down some. I never go with what is written on the bag. The companies put down way to much food for a dog to consume.

The Pawsee answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

If you haven't already taken Chanelle to the vet, I would have her checked for worms. Puppies are notoriously wormy in their bellies. It's very normal and incredibly easy to treat. It's just an oral medication given over a couple of visits along with their shots.

I would also ask the vet how much you should be feeding. I'm with the previous poster about taking the feeding recommendations on the bags with a grain of salt. Remember, these folks want to sell you more dog food. They'll make sure you go through that bag right quick. ;)

Miss Buddie answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with PP"S.
I just wanted to say OMD she is absolutely adorable.
Have a good one.

Hi - Your little Chi does not need that much food... only 1/8 of a cup 2 x per day ...
My Chi is 2 years old and I still don't feed her more than 1/2 a cup per day ...
I feed her Innova small bites - it is condensed and grain free.
YOU may want to get the Innova PUPPY food or the Wellness brand puppy food.
Good quality for your baby.

also, this young - your baby needs to eat 3 x per day and offering snacks. YOU can offer a little less than 1/8 of a cup 3 x per day and then 2 teaspoons of WET canned food as a snack... Chi's get LOW blood sugar and need to eat often.
BEST wishes -
SEE the Chi Expert here:
en.allexperts.com

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

The rule at our office is "You can't over feed a puppy." They are growing & expending energy. They will eat as much as they are comfortable with. You can put down a whole bowl of food and they will leave whatever they don't want behind.

At this point, you may want to offer several meals througout the day. Remember to take the pup out more frequently too.

As they get older (around 6 months) they will need to begin eating the amount they will eat for the rest of their life. Take a look at their weight. You should be able to see a clear waistline (hourglass figure) indenting behind the ribs.

They should not look like a vienna sausage. At this stage in their life (6 mos) your vet can tell you about what their ideal weight should be and you can discuss where you are with that weight and the amount you are feeding which varies with food type. Canned food tends to have more calories packed in each bite, and dry food varies with brand.

Good luck :) enjoy your beautiful doll!

In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Over feeding any puppy is bad, but it can wreck a large breed's joints. See Kealy, et al. "Effects of limited food consumption on the incidence of hip dysplasia in growing dogs." JAVMA, v201, n6 Sept 15, 1992

I agree if you haven't had her to the vet, she should have a good check up now. You should be feeding a puppy chow now. Switching to an adult chow for the larger breeds at 4 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier joints.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com