my chihuahua ate tin foil that had chicken in it. it was a small triangle piece. Will it pass?

Asked by Member 975078 on Mar 18th 2010 in General

Answers

Gidget

My chew everything dog Gidget, has eaten bits of foil before. It has always passed.

With such a small breed as your dog, you should watch really close. First signs of any distress, get him to a vet. The more fragile breeds have a harder time digesting things. Mine are all rot gut breeds and seem to be able to digest anything. But knowing she hunts& digs for things to chew& swallow, I make it a habit of paying close attention to her bowel habits. If she ever gets sick, I will assume it is an obstruction first and seek medial attention.

Watch his stool, look for signs of constipation, vomiting or if he shows signs of not feeling well, then there may be an obstruction. Foil can be sharp too, so again, the first sign of any distress, get him in.

If it passes, the crisis is probably over, but if the foil has punctured him anywhere internally, there may be additional problems. If no symptoms of illness, blood or constipation then he/she is probably going to be fine this time.

Gidget answered on 3/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I mostly agree with Giget. Blood from high in the digestive tract turns black and tarry. If you see that in the stools, you do need to call the vet.