Belladonna

My bulldog has been acting so strange! She's rubbing against things, chewing her legs, and humping!

My bulldog has been rubbing her bottom on chairs, legs, beds, etc. I had a friend tell me she checked her anal glands and they felt empty. When I bathed her last week, I called myself cleaning her tail pocket too. She has been scratching still though! She is also biting and chewing on her front legs and paws. She is also always trying to bite or chew her rear end now. I'm really getting anxious because she seems in such discomfort and in pain and it upsets me to see her hurt. Please let me know what you suggest!

Asked by Belladonna on Jul 21st 2012 Tagged bulldogs, scratching, biting, chewing, rubbing, hurt, pain, discomfort, bulldog in Health & Wellness

Answers

Starbutt

Most Vets will allow 1-2 mg of Benadryl per pound:
Example - 30 pound dog can have 30-60mg of Benadryl q 12 hrs.
( CALL your VET for dosages if you are unsure)
this is for the itching

the chewing on her self can be due to bordom so get you dog a chew toy but not a rawhide my bulldog did good till the last of it she had one big piece and tried to swallow it whole I took it from her you need to get something like a nylibone that it comes off little by little.

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 7/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

That profile picture! She is adorable! Sounds like she's terribly uncomfortable, though. If she were mine, I'd take her to the vet. It sounds like she's having allergies and/or some anal gland issues. If you were constantly itchy and/or in pain, you'd see the doctor, right? If it's a behavioral issue (like anxiety or boredom), your vet can help by ruling out physical ailments and focusing on ways to stimulate her mind. Best of luck!

If she's humping things, sounds like she's in heat.