My boxer pup has an arch nemesis. I've tried addressing the problem and working w/ the other owner but to no avail. HELP

My 14 month old male boxer is well socialized, exercised, fairly obedient, and pretty happy-go-lucky most of the time, but he hates this one particular dog from the dog park. His nemesis is a male husky around the same age (both neutered), who is also very happy-go-lucky but hyper. As soon as my dog sees him he gets really growly and goes after him and tries to pin him and snaps at him. The other dog surrenders but when I pull them apart keeps coming back for more. We've tried addressing the aggression in the moment and making my dog lie down and surrender to the husky, but as soon as I let him up he goes right back after him again. We've tried taking both dogs out of the dog park setting and walking them, and after some initial aggression they can get along, but it's the same story all over again next time they meet. What can I do??? I don't want to have to avoid this dog forever.

Asked by Member 1189376 on Sep 10th 2013 Tagged aggression, boxer, husky, dogpark in Behavior & Training

Answers

Make friends with the owner and bring your dogs on a regular walk together, instead of the park. Correct behaviors as they occur. You might be surprised that this behavior only occurs within the confines of the dog park. However, when both dogs are hyper and playing is not the right time for them to be in training mode. If you prefer to take the avoidance route, take your dog to a different park and see if the same situation occurs with any other dog, or bring your dog to the park at different times than the husky. ^_^