My boxer mix, Hannah, is 7 1/2 yrs old and had digestive issues.

At least once a week Hannah will not eat, her stomach will make all sorts of grumbly noises and become bloated. She will go outside frequently, eat grass and vomit (usually grass and bile). This has been going on for approximately 3 yrs. She is a very picky eater. Hannah has lost about 8-10 lbs since her cancer surgery (did not involve her stomach) in January 2012. We feed her Purina for sensitive stomachs. Our vet thought it was a good food for her. Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 1105768 on Apr 14th 2012 Tagged digestiveissues in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Vets will push whatever company they are sponsored by to the consumers. (Usually the brands in the waiting room) Nutrition is an elective course for them.. Anyway I would do your own research. A good place to start is dogfoodadvisor.com and www.dogfoodanalysis.com. Purina is not really a very good food. Some people swear by RAW diets and others by homemade diets. It is up to you to do lots of research before choosing.

♥CHLOE♥

Chloe is on Avoderm Ground chicken & rice formula - I also boil a chicken breast in water & then put it in the food processor so it's ground up like a meal & add it to her dog food.... she loves it.

My vet has suggested that she be on Proviables 1x daily - you sprinkle it on their food to regulate their digestive tract.

Grass is not good for dogs as I'm sure you know.

I hope this works for you xoxo

♥CHLOE♥ answered on 4/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am a groomer that has seen many dogs have issues. In my experience, it stems from diet. Unfortunately, Vets do not recommend the best food. Look for food that DOES NOT contain CORN!! or BY Products!! I encourage my clients to feed their dogs 100% pumpkin (not pie filling) on an upset stomach. It's good for their digestion. Yogurt is good too. Check out your locally owned pet stores and pick their brain. Big pet food companies aren't really in business because of their food, it's because of their ability to market that they are the best without truly giving the best. It's sad because dogs can't tell you and Vets won't either. Dogs are carnivores. Feed them mostly meat and simple grains like rice or oatmeal and you won't go wrong. Good Luck!!

Carter

In addition to no corn and by products you will have to look for something that has no soy or wheat. Those are also some high allergens in dogs. : ) Just to name a few natural holistic dog foods wellness, blue buffalo, and 4health. Personally i would choose Blue Buffalo first then wellness. Blue buffalo has a raw food diet without it actually being raw food. Homemade dog food is also good as well.Just make sure you do your research with whatever you choose. Read the labels on the dog food before you buy anything.

Carter answered on 4/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiara

I am not a fan of purina. If youn look at the food, it still has alot of by-products and the quality of the other ingrediants is not that good. I think I would look for a food that has a limited ingrediant formula. I use the Nutro food because I had problems with allergies and it relly helped alot. They also have some for sensitive stomachs you may want to look at. And I like the fact that it is an all natural food.

Tiara answered on 4/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer