my boxer got out of my fence and killed a neighbor's cat. Animal control says he needs to be put down before he attacks

My boxer who is 3 yrs. old got out of my fence and apparently killed a neighbor's cat. Animal control said my dog is now considered dangerous and I should put him down. My boxer has NEVER been aggressive towards smaller dogs or children and has been around both extensively.

I understand and agree that my dog should have been in my fenced back yard but unfortunately accidents happen and the gate was inadvertantly left open and he got out. I understand a fine but putting him to sleep?! Is this really necessary or warranted? Is the fact that he killed a cat a indication that he will (or is likely) to attack a child?

I really don't want to put him to sleep but I also don't want to be irresponsible... Advise please.

Asked by Member 1107302 on Apr 23rd 2012 Tagged boxer, killed, cat in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cobain ADC, SGDC, CGN

To state that a dog that killed a cat would harm a child is entirely asinine.

PREY drive is entirely different from human aggression.

The only basis for your dog being put down is because the incident did not occur on your property. The euthanasia order may be at the cat owner's request. It's an unfortunate repercussion that your dog has to pay over an accident.

Cobain ADC, SGDC, CGN answered on 4/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Without knowing the laws of your city/state/country it's hard to give you a good answer.

He may not have been responsible for the cats death. Most cats go up a tree and wait the dog out. He may have picked it up after it go hit by a car. An outdoor cat is at risk from many things.

What if he did? If he was not raised with small animals, or other species, he will consider them prey. How can he be blamed for natural instinct? He can't.

You are responsible, you must make sure the gate is closed and the yard impossible to get out of. You should also offer to pay any final expenses for the cat and offer a sincere apology.

I live in CT, USA. A dog is not destroyed because it may have killed a cat. It might be temperment tested for its behavior around kids and other dogs.

It's worth consulting a Behaviorist who can advise you and Animal control on the dogs behavior.

You may wish to consult a lawyer or consider contacting the Lexus project. The Lexus Project advocates for animals about to be euthanized and may be able to intervene or refer you to a attorney who can help you save your dog.

Solo

My advise would be to hide your dog at a friend or relative's home for a few weeks. I have had many dogs and currently have a boxer that i take rabbit hunting with me. He often gets them if they are half dead and shakes them to death before i can get to them. It's a natural instinct of any animal. I also have 2 small children that he adores and plays with all day long. I would trust him with my life and theres 100%. My answer to your question would be do not put him to sleep and no he will not attack a child unprovoked because he chased a cat.

Solo answered on 4/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie Mae

First off, did you go to court yet for this? If not you still have some time for preventative measures. Call trainers in your area and ask if they do what's called a "safer" test. This is basically a temperament test that concludes that your dog is safer rather than vicious. Second of all check your township ordinances and make sure they abided by their own rules and regulations, did they take your dog for quarantine (which in most cases is 10 days), did they ask you for your shot records? Also, get as many letters of character for your dog as you can, this can be from anybody family, friends, neighbors, and most importantly your vet. If all your ducks are in a row, your dog will come out on top, just make sure you fix the fence :)

Maggie Mae answered on 4/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer