Pita

My Boston Terrier has severe episodes of reverse sneezing that sometimes result in vomiting a thick mucus (and food).

We've taken her to the vet and he did several tests and can find no explanation other than a sensitive palate. Have others dealt with reverse sneezing of this severity? And if so, what did you do about it? The vet said we could try children's benadryl, which has worked for our other Boston in the past, but his reverse sneezing was not nearly this bad. Are there other things we could do to help her? Basically when she has an episode of reverse sneezing that sounds like it will result in vomiting I rush her to the bathtub so it's way easier to clean up. I've read of people trying to distract their dogs out of it and I would think being picked up and whisked to the tub would have that effect, but it doesn't.

Asked by Pita on Feb 22nd 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I've had my Boston for 11 years an through out having him he too has reverse sneezing, when this occurs I pat his back and let him know it's oka. When it sounds like he's about to vomit its his way of being ending it, he never vomits though and Ive never had to buy medication. I do sit outside with him and let him get fresh air an water, it seems to work my Boston. This isn't the best advice but I do relate.

Bella

Hello. As scarey as the reverse sneeze sounds and looks, it is just an irritation that causes this. I was told by my vet to cover my dog's nose with my palm of my hand and it always stops it. Perhaps if you catch it early, she will not throw up.

Bella answered on 2/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Paxton

I stick my fingers in my dogs mouth to open it. Once you get their mouth open it usually promotes better breathing. It works for my dog.

Paxton answered on 2/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer