My BIL shot my dachsund that I gave to my MIL. Is this legal?

I gave my MIL my dachsund "Eddie" because he would nip at my kids, ages 3 and 4. He only nipped if they were messin with him while he was eating or chewing! He was a very sweet dog, very lovable! He bit my BIL's gf's 2 yr old sons hand. No medical attention was needed, but my BIL shot Eddie and killed him! Is this against the law? He could have had him put to sleep or found him a good home! Please help! I feel so helpless!

Asked by Member 973327 on Mar 12th 2010 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

It is too bad that you didn't seek the help of a behaviorist before passing your problem on to your MIL...I don't know if there are laws against shooting a dog where you live but it is too bad the dog had to pay where humans dropped the ball.

In many areas, this would be against the law, yes. I would urge you to contact the authorities in your area and report this awful tragedy.

Someone who shoots a dog, even after the dog has bitten, should be held responsible for their actions. It's inhumane and calls into question that person's general mental competence.

This tragic killing of your dog should not go unreported. I'm incredibly sorry to hear this happened to Eddie. What a horrible thing to have happen.

sorry to hear this yes he can't just shoot a dog. If the dog didn't even penetrate the skin then he really acted unrationally. Not saying it isn't right the dog nipped at a child.
But, yeh I would say something he could of took the dog back to you.
It wouldn't be fair to give the dog to someone knowing he bites but you could of corrected the problem or took him back .
Sorry the dog had to go through this.
It is not legal for him to take the dog out and shoot him. But, sometimes this gets pushed to the side unless you will complain and do something to help dogs who suffer abuse.

♣Duchess♣

That is HORRIBLE!!!!
What kind of person would do THAT!!!!!!
Problem NOT solved!!!!!
Animal cruelity should totally be against the law!!!!!!! he is NOT allowed to do that ( or shouldnt be)
My gosh, little dogs snap, especially when they feel threatened by little kids!
Oh i feel so bad for you!!!! I bet you didnt even want to give Eddie up, i would be SOOOO angry if someone did that to my dog!
I hope you find a solution to this problem. Good luck, hope it all goes well, no matter what u do!!

♣Duchess♣ answered on 3/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Spike

You should tell the police, because first of all, that's animal cruelty, second of all, it's just not right.

Spike answered on 6/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer