Beau

My Australian Shepherd gets extremely upset when it storms. To the point where he is shaking really bad. Does anyone kno

Asked by Beau on Jun 18th 2012 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Try getting a thunder-shirt. I've never used one for any of my dogs but I hear they work.

You can also try a Calming Spray to spray on him and his bed, favorite toys, etc. so he will breathe it in during the storm, helping him to relax.

Maggie Mae

Whatever you do, thundershirt or calming spray. DO NOT give him affection during his anxiety attacks. You will only be reinforcing the behavior. If you want him to learn the coping skills to deal with something as simple as a storm stop your mind from thinking "oh poor thing" and switch it to "it's just a storm, you're safe here". But do not give affection until he is calm. If he looks calm and you go to touch him and he immediately starts shaking retract your affection and wait to try again. He will get the point sooner than you think. By doing this you are teaching your dog coping skills and showing him that storms are "business as usual". Once you start with the poor baby mindset it will only get worse.

Maggie Mae answered on 6/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Teaching your dog to cope with the situation is very important. Dont go or pay heed to him when he is anxious at the time of a storm, once he will realize that he will get no special treatment, he would eventually learn to cope with it. Although you can still try the spray and the thunder shirt.