RIP Nemo [7-15-08]

My apartment only allows dogs 25 lbs and under, was wondering what kind of dog I should get?

The dog needs to be small when an adult, but I would like to get a puppy. My fiance and I dont have any children or any other pets, [but we both love dogs and have had many previous dogs in our lives] so this dog will be spoiled with all our love and attention. I have owned big dogs all my life so Im not really sure what to get for a small dog. Would like a very affectionate, playful, friendly and smart dog. Definitely going to be adopting/rescuing, because thats what I have done with all my previous dogs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Asked by RIP Nemo [7-15-08] on Sep 4th 2008 in Choosing the Right Pet

Best Answer

Jiggs  CGC

Only you would know what small dog will work for you. I would suggest doing some research on different breeds and find the one that fits your lifestyle. Are you active? Can you walk the dog in the evening or are you more laid back and don't do exercise too much? Do you prefer long hair, short hair? High energy dogs are Terrier's, Beagle's, Poodle's, Yorkies and a more laid back breed would be Pugs, Lhasa Apso, Maltese and Shih Tzu. All dogs need exercise but some breeds need much more than others. These are all the things you need to keep in mind, also some dogs are more vocal then others and this can be difficult in an Apartment.

Jiggs CGC answered on Sep 4th.

Answers

If you like big dogs and big dog personalities, I'd go with a beagle. There are LOTS of them in shelters. They aren't like any other small dog- they are definitely affectionate, playful, friendly, and smart! My grandparents have owned lots of labs and beagles, and their personalities are very similar.

Shitzu's and Cairn Terriers are very nice little dogs, too.

Dogs like pomeranians, chihuahuas, yorkies, and the like will be very different from the big dogs you're used to. Poms are my favorite, but man can they bark. They also tend to be one-person dogs, and very stubborn (I can call mine as much as I want, but he won't come in unless he FEELS like it!) They take a lot of training.

I think the best advice though, is to go into your local shelter and see what they have. The workers there will be able to make a good recommendation.

Ginger Smiles Primm

Small dogs are the way to go! No drool, little shedding, if they pass gas you only smell it once! We LOVE our Miniature Pinschers! They are very smart, active, lap dogs! They need a lot of excercice and attention so if your gone 8 or more hours a day it may be a prob down the line. Check it out! You can get 1 in the paper for around $300 in VA.

Ginger Smiles Primm answered on 9/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer