Roxi

My American Pit Bull Terrier attacked my quad! why?

Today I was riding my quad, and my dog was chained up in back yard to enjoy the day, and I rode up beside her slowly and she attacked the tires and any where else she could get to, has anyone else experianced this in your American Pit Bull? attacking motorized/things on wheels?

Asked by Roxi on Jun 11th 2011 in American Pit Bull Terrier

Answers

Quote "chained up out side to enjoy the day" ??? not to sound sarcastic but that makes no sense to me. back to your question, My Greatdane would chase motorcycles bikes, even 18 wheelers. this seems to be a problem with a lot of dogs reguardless of the breed, for reasons unknown.. perhaps some training will help so the dog does not get injured in the process of attacking large moving objects.

"my dog was chained up in back yard to enjoy the day" I am not sure how any dog can "enjoy the day" being chained up in the back yard???? If I were chained up in the back yard I would attack anything I could get my teeth into!!!!!
Try getting her a pen if she must be left outside alone, it is MUCH safer and she will be much happier.
I know MANY breeders who will void their temperament guarantees if the dog is ever chained... it can make the nicest, mildest dog become aggressive in a big hurry!!!!

I agree with the first two answers. Your dog is frustrated terribly being chained and even more being chained & you passing him with something to chase.
This makes me sad you should consider buying a dog bike attachment for your bike and taking the dog with you. I have one and both my dogs love to jog beside me on the bike. they both pull and one is 90 lbs and the attachment compresses the weight of the dog. dogs are social animals that don't enjoy being tied up or chained away from being part of the family. be kind and exercise your dog he wants to be wiff you. he luvs you.
He is mad he has to be chained up. :(

Ginger-  M.I.A.

Beats me why exactly she did this, but once I had a pit-type dog attack the tires of my car. It was pretty funny, because it obviously wasn't aggressive towards people, just car tires. (The car wasn't even moving at the time.)

I agree with the others though that chaining is probably not a good idea, especially if the dog can see you going about doing other things. It's immensely frustrating to the dog.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 6/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxi is beautiful and I'm sure you love her very much. Perhaps taking a walk or a run with you would be a more enjoyable way for her to spend the day. Leaving a dog unsupervised on a line or chain is a strangulation hazard. Also, if she's tethered and not protected by your home or a kennel, she is more vulnerable if a strange dog or other predator (coyote, wolf, etc.) comes on your property and wants to attack her. You may wish to find a safer way to give her time outside.

Riding on a vehicle beside your dog may scare her, because quads are loud, big, and kind of smelly. When dogs are frustrated (because she wants to be with you!), in a vulnerable position, and scared or stressed, they are much more likely to be aggressive. It seems clear that you would want to relieve her stress and help her to feel more comfortable, so it may be a good idea to give her more space when you're riding your quad.

Best of luck with your sweet girl!

Molly

On my first date (dinner at his house) with my current boyfriend his pit attacked the tire of my truck. Never did anything like it before and hasn't done anything since. He is a sweet boy who generally leaves vehicles alone. Your dog was probably just bored or trying to tell you something like "Hey pay attention to me." Pits are very attention needy dogs that will do just about anything to get it.

I am going to assume that chained in the back yard is not the natural state for your pit and it was just a temporary thing. Pits love being with their humans as much as possible so chaining him out might be considered a slight to him.

Molly answered on 7/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Xena

Well I certainly wouldn't like to be chained up in a garden, you should maybe try let your dog loose in somewhere safe for the dog to run. I think the may have been fed up or maybe she isn't too good with quads?

Xena answered on 7/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Isabella

BECAUSE IT WAS CHAINED. One of the ways dogfighters make their dogs aggressive is through chaining them outside. Chains are heavy and frustrating!

Could you enjoy the day chained outside? Could you enjoy anything chained? Get a dog run or fence. Then the dog can truly enjoy the day.

Isabella "Bella" answered on 8/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer