Candy Girl

My 9 month old pit bull puppy went in heat about a week ago, is it because my 3 yr old female just came out of heat?

Why would my 9 month old puppy come in heat already? I thought it happens at 1 year old?

Asked by Candy Girl on May 31st 2008 Tagged heat, femaledogs, breeding, puppies in Pregnancy

Answers

Mitzi

At 9 months of age, most female dogs are physiologically mature for puppies. Just like a 9 year old girl having her first period. It is not good measure to breed at this age but menses (heat) can happen.

Mitzi answered on 6/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Feyth aka Fey

A females dogs first heat can start anyware from 6 months and on. In fact some females go into heat twice in the first year.

Feyth aka Fey answered on 6/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Actually, a typical female dog goes into heat at 6 months, but it can vary from 5 months to 1 1/2 years.

There is no set timeframe of when a dog should have her first heat cycle. Unfortunately too many people believe the 1 year old myth, so that makes for many unwanted litters of pups being born . Please go ahead and get her in to the vet asap so you can get her spayed.

Fun On The Run Kennel Racing

It is very possible that the 3 year old pit threw her into heat, yes, but dogs can go into heat at any time between 5 months and 2 years for the first time. I had 3 dogs that were not spayed, the puppy went into heat, then she got out and the 5 y/o went into it, then when she came out the puppy went back in again. I got my 3 y/o spayed before she went in and I have appointments for the other two on Friday!

Please get your dogs spayed ASAP. It is much cheaper for you, and much healthier for your dogs if you do. They can get fatal infections, puppys at a young age, and many other problems if you do not spay.

Fun On The Run Kennel Racing answered on 6/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zima  June 1 2007 -

Yes it does happen that way. no a female can start her season from as young as 6 mos old. I agree with the spaying idea myself. For health reasons as well as preventing further overpopulation. Pet finder is bursting with dogs needing good homes! dogs and puppies .. Oh, and I know if you have internet access DRSFOSTERSMITH does sell products for females in season such as panties, odor control etc.. My first thought is get them both spayed tho.

Zima June 1 2007 - answered on 6/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boo-Boo

Well, I thought that I had till 1 yr also for my 9 month old pit puppy too. But from what I have been reading that seems the norm for pit bull puppies. But I wonder if trauma may have set mine off early. She went to a friends and got bit by another dog. Boo is very timid and did not fight back she just coward. Which made me thankful, the other dog was a shepard mix and not fixed either but very aggressive. I was trying to find Boo a new home with a grand baby coming I don't know how the "jealousnous" is gonna work. Boo responds and minds my boyfriend better than she does me and it is hard for me to control her. Told him he has to pay for obedience school if we are gonna keep her. He agreed.

Boo-Boo answered on 6/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer