My 8 yr old Great Dane has suddenly started pooping (and once peeing) in the house

at night while I sleep. I know that she is getting older, but this is strange for her. She is showwing no other signs and symptoms that she is sick, but I am wondering if I should take her to the vet. I also question whether this could be from her trips to the kennel. I have to travel a lot recently for work, and at the daycare/kennel, she is allowed to go indoors. Do you think that she could be reverting becasue of that? I no longer have her kennel at home becasue she has not needed one for over 6 years? Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 609128 on Mar 18th 2008 in House Soiling

Best Answer

I agree with the others that a vet check would be a good idea.

Could just be that she has less control now that she's older or that she's used to constant access to a potty area at the boarding facility and has gotten out of the habit of holding it for long periods.

You might find it helpful to limit food and water before bedtime so you're sure she goes to bed with an empty stomach and bladder.

answered on Mar 18th.

Answers

Makia 1996-2008

It wouldn't hurt to have her see a vet, usually when a dog or cat changes it voiding habits like that after years of being house-trained it can be medical but it could be she is confused by how things are done at the kennel. Have you tried finding a pet sitter that can come to your house a few times a day while your gone instead of her going to a kennel?

Makia 1996-2008 answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Juno

It could be from the boarding. Whatever it is, I think since she is pooping in the house you should go right back to square one with potty training by putting her in the crate when you can't supervise her in the house.

If she poops in the crate, then I think it would be time to consult a vet. It might be a matter of changing her food and potty schedule, but if it's worked for her for so long then it's more likely that there's a health issue.

Remember that re-introducing the crate after six years without it needs to be done as if you were introducing it for the first time. Leave it open for her to access even when you're around, and only give her treats/chews when she's in it.

Also, even though she isn't showing any other signs of sickness doesn't mean there isn't something wrong. Dogs aren't wired to show pain. I'd at least call the vet and ask what they think could be the problem.

Juno answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would also take her to the vet for a complete physical exam AS WELL AS a complete blood panel.

Sometimes, the smallest thing can set them off. Checking her blood levels and liver enzyme levels as well as other tests that normally aren't run in a typical office visit could definitely shed some light on why she might be doing this all of a sudden. She can definitely have some problem that isn't causing any other outward symptoms. 8 years old is getting up there for a large dog like a Dane, and she may have some nutrient or mineral deficiency issues going on that are easily fixed.

If you get a clean bill of health, then start concentrating on the behavioral side of things.

Definitely, your question about the daycare place is valid, but I would still dig deeper if she's been accident free for the past 8 years.

I also agree that you should start back at square one with the housetraining. That tends to be the best solution for this kind of thing.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

I would also take her to her Vet.8 years old is pretty up there for a Dane.She may have some issues starting with arthritis and she doesn't know how to deal with the pain.She could have some other issues going on that will take more tests.I would plan On speending around $500 on her to get her completely checked out with blood work and xrays and all.
I would not put her back in the crate,that may start or put her in more stress then she already is.If you have a way to put a baby gate up in the kitchen so it would be easy clean up then I would reccomend that before I would crate her.
Good luck and let us know how things turn out for you and if we can be of any more help.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer