My 8 year old dog is acting terrible after having had my new baby

My dog is eight years old. I have two other dogs also. She is the only of the three dogs that is reacting badly after I gave birth to my son, who is 7 months old. She is digging holes in the yard, tearring up the trash and baby toys, jumping on the counter, and even growled at my baby. I have tried the extra attention thing, and it did not work at all. I dont know what to do, I am afraid of her becoming agressive towards my baby. She has other issues, and I feel that she would not do well in another home. What should I do?

Asked by Member 919625 on Nov 19th 2009 Tagged newbaby in Blogs

Answers

Theodore

More exercise is always a good outlet for a dog who is destructive. Also, work on teaching her the "leave it" command. That means don't look at it, smell it, touch it, nothing, nada, zip. As with anything, it takes time to train, which I'm sure is in short supply with 3 dogs and a 7 month old baby. However, you could hire someone to exercise her more, or have an outing to the local dog park with the baby in tow. As to the "leave it" command...start with something she really likes, bologna or roast beef and set a piece in front of her close enough to you that you can cover it quickly if she goes for it. Tell her "leave it" and reward her with a piece from your hand when she does. Gradually she'll get the idea that leaving it gets her more than going for it. Practice every day several times a day for short periods and then move on to using the command in other contexts, like the baby. Always reward good behavior when training. Good luck!

Theodore answered on 11/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hailey May

Maybe taking your dog to a doggie park, so it can run off some of the energy. Teaching the leave it command would be good as well. Its easy to teach that command if you have paitents & make it fun for the dog. You can email me & i could tell you how to teach the leave it command. And if all that doesnt help and he/she is still growling at the baby, i would concider re-homing him... Even if he does have other issues, in my opion it would be better to rehome him then have him get wayy to jealous of the baby and attack your son one day... Not saying that'll happen. But dogs can tend to get jealous and attack the other animal or person that gets more attion then it does... Good Luck! If you have any questions just email.. ill be glad to help in any way that i can, so you dont have to rehome your dog.. (I cant type it all on here lol)

Hailey May answered on 11/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First thing, KEEP THE DOG AWAY FROM THE BABY, I cannot believe no one told you that. Second thing, realize the dog feels threatened with losing the #2 spot (as she sees it) to the baby. Thirdly, the dog will try to rectify the displacement.
I would IMMEDIATELY (my personal feeling) ELIMINATE any animal that showed the least bit of threatening behavior toward my child. PERIOD. A growl is a warning of actions to follow. Get away with a growl a bite won't be far behind. How does a dog warn others away? GROWLING, don't take it lightly. It IS a threat.

what other issues?
Growling is a warning. I feel they can become jelious, more then likely the dog is expressing fear of the baby.
I would not leave the baby alone with the dog. It sounds like you already know that.
Maybe try setting a time when someone can watch the baby too. Every day have a sitter for the baby and walk the dog. Spend time with dog and end the time with one training session outside the home. Sometimes times like 5-7 pm or 7-9 pm. Try working with the dog over time to see if you can improve the behavior.
Instead of locking the dog up or placing her outside more, just tether the dog to you. Use a flat collar/ or harness and a thin long line or cat leash to your body that way the dog has to follow you every where. You know where the dog is.
Thirdly, many dogs can have a medical problem that seems to be mainly a behavioral problem, but isn't.
Have your vet see if the dog has any underlining medical conditions, thyroid, kidney, or heart murmur.
It is good to look