My 7 yr old dog has thrown up 3 times today and has diahreah, what could cause this?

She was fine and happy all day yesterday, this morning I woke up and she had thrown up and had major runnie poop in the house. I tried feeding her and she didn't eat anything. She threw up again about two hours after I got up more watery and then about two hours later she had another runnnie poop and just threw up a little. She is not acting her usual self which is jumping and playing. I called the vet to see and she says I would have to bring her in because it could be heartworm, however I looked up the symptoms for heartworm and it doesn't seem like she has any of those. If need be we have a 24 emergency vet in our city I can take her too. She has done this before where she will throw up, but is often herself within a hour or so. Today not so much and she has been shivering on and off.

Asked by Member 1139909 on Nov 9th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I would take her to a vet.

Is she drinking water? I'd try some immodium and Pepcid for her tummy and the runs. I'd encourage fluids (water or even broth), and if she doesn't improve within a few hours I would see the vet.