My 7 month old puppy has a hacking cough with mucus,dry nose,runny eyes. What can I do to help him?

Is there anything I can buy over the counter to help him? Or a reasonable vet I can take him to?

Asked by Member 626756 on Apr 27th 2008 Tagged hacking, cough, mucus, medicine, overthecounter in Other Dogster.com

Answers

~Emma~ RL1

Well, every vet has their own cost. Chances are if you are in a rural area it will be less expensive. Big cities tend to be more expensive, however you should call around and get some prices. Some other pup may pop in and give you different ideas about what kind of help is out there for you.
No medical ideas for you though, not a vet or anything, you really should get them to the vet.

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 4/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

He needs a vet. Look in the phone book and call around. We had to do that when we wanted to get my cat spayed because our vet is expensive when it comes to spaying. We found a cheap but good one in Jacksonville. Don't just pick the cheapest, you should be sure that it is a good vet before taking your dog to it.

I agree he needs to see a vet. More than likely, the symptoms you describe are from kennel cough, which is a very routine, common virus that most dogs get at some point in their lives. However, you need to have your dog evaluated to make sure that is his TRUE diagnosis and this must be done in person.

Never give a dog any over the counter medications unless specifically instructed by your vet. Most of the time, vets will prescibe antibiotics for kennel cough, but because it is a virus, antibiotics have NO EFFECT on it. They are prescribed because younger and older dogs sometimes have their symptoms progress into a bacterial infecton or pneumonia. Most healthy dogs get over kennel cough within 14 days and until he's not coughing, he's extremely contagious to other dogs, so please keep him inside. No walks until he's better. Even just walking around and sniffing the grass can leave germs for a day or two.

Definitely go to a vet. It is money well spent to get a proper diagnosis.