My 6mo old Westies front legs turn inward and are curved in shape. She is ACA registered dog. Is this a normal ?

Asked by Member 794393 on Jan 19th 2009 Tagged westie, legshape, confirmationdefect in Breeds

Answers

Well, ACA registered is NOT AKC registered, therefore the people who bred the dogs most likely didn't do any health testing before they bred them. If they had, they probably would have realized that the dogs could have had puppies with this problem and therefore they wouldn't have bred the dogs.

Any reputable breeder only breeds AKC registered purebred dogs who are properly health tested and who actually pass these tests. Your dog has bowed legs, which is not uncommon in small breeds who were not bred by reputable breeders. Is this 'normal' for a dog? No. Is this 'normal' considering the way she was bred? Could be, yes.

I am in no way trying to be rude or mean by telling you this - just informative. Many people buy dogs who are 'CKC' registered, and registered with all of these random affiliations. AKC registered dogs are the only ones recognized in the U.S. and should be the only ones people are breeding. One of your dogs' parents had this problem in their lineage. If their owners were responsible, they would have had those dogs neutered or spayed. Any dog who is bred who is NOT show quality should be altered. This is to stop random people from breeding their dogs and to stop passing down faults in the lines, and is why, as reputable breeders, we sell puppies with limited registration to keep this from happening.

I would enjoy your Westie the way that she is. You may need to make sure she doesn't get too overweight so that she can support her body on her legs. I would talk to your vet more about what he/she thinks is a concern for her with bowed legs. Many small dogs have it and get around just fine, so I wouldn't worry. But I would definitely have it assessed by a vet to be sure.

No it's not normal...Get to the vet & find out what to do a.s.a.p.!!
ACA is not a legit registry...I am so sorry.

Oliver

I would add to Sergeant's answer that registration is no guarantee of quality - an AKC registered dog is not necessarily special or well bred, it is simply well documented. However, an ACA or other bogus registration generally guarantees a lack of quality.

Oliver answered on 1/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Thank you to all who responded. We have usually gotten our dogs from shelters. They were mixed breeds and had no congenital abnormalities. A vet once told me that by crossbreeding animals the result can be a larger healthier animal than breeding consistently from the same lines. I'm thinking next time we'll go back to the shelter. This puppy is sweet but it seems by buying her we have unwillingly funded an industry that does not act in the best interest of the animals.