My 6 weeks old american cocker spaniel puppy seems to be over weight.. Should I worry?

Hi there! I bought an American Cocker spaniel and she is still with the breeder and now 6 weeks old. I saw her when she was 5 weeks but now in recent pictures, she seems to be overweight. She is very big and her fur is everywhere compare to her littermate. I'm not sure if I should worry about her weight or not. I don't know how much she weighs. Any way to know?

Asked by Member 1099705 on Mar 13th 2012 in Health & Safety

Answers

I would have your vet determine if she's over weight. It's a good idea to take her to the vet within a week of getting her anyway. Good Luck!

I really wouldn't worry about a puppy that young looking overweight. All baby puppies look kind of roly-poly, more like hamsters than dogs. And not all pups in a litter grow at the same rate, it's totally normal that she could be bigger and fluffier than her sibling.

A "pot-bellied" look is something to worry about, though. That usually indicates they have worms.

Like Wiley, I recommend getting her checked by a vet as soon as you take her home- which I hope will be sometime after she turns 8 weeks old, 10 or 12 is even better.