Chewie

My 6 month old puppy has started biting any part of me she can get a hold of. Is this normal?

Lately my 6 month old puppy has started biting me, or at least she tries to. She'll nip my elbows, ankles, feet and occasionally she jump up with her teeth bared and try to bite my face. Keep in mind all of this is unprovoked. She doesn't do it at any specific time, or as a response to any sort of trigger. She just does it for 15-20 minutes at a time and then she stops. Is it normal behavior? And, how do I stop it or correct it? I've heard you're supposed to ignore puppies when they are biting or "mouthing", but it's kind of hard to ignore a puppy lunging at your face with teeth bared. So what do I do?

Asked by Chewie on Jan 28th 2009 Tagged biting, puppy in Behavior & Training

Answers

Harper Lee

My dog did that for awhile. I would stand up and stare at the ceiling until she stopped OR clap my hands loud and say "NO!" OR make a crazy sound (loudly) like "YEOW!!" Make her understand you will not tolerate it. Not in a mean way. Just be very matter of fact. Most of all though, I think she will probably have to grow up a bit. You could also try tiring her out with long walks, dog play dates or dog parks. My dog bit me so much I got nervous being around her and all of these things helped. Now she rarely does it any more.

Harper Lee answered on 1/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Normal puppy behavior. He's just playing, but it's not very fun to get bit.

Buddie was a big time nipper when she was a puppy too. What works for us is to yelp when she bites. Make it high pitched like a puppy yelp. It's what their littermates would do when things get too rough. If it persists after the yelp, stop playing and ignore him. This also what would happen in the litter.

Chewing is very normal behavior at this stage because your Chewie is probably teething. Have lots of toys around for him to chew and when he starts going for your hand, offer him a toy to gnaw on or play tug of war with.

Good luck. This is part of his social learning process. Be consistent and kind and he'll be just fine.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is normal puppy behavior, yes, but it shouldn't go ignored.

The nipping that she is doing is actually very disrespectful - she doesn't respect you as her leader, nor does she actually SEE you as her leader, or she wouldn't think twice about doing this. When she goes to nip at you, touch her firmly in the neck and tell her 'no'. The touch simulates another dog's bite, and this is what another dog would do to let her know that what she is doing is unwanted. Some people think 'oh they are puppies, wait it out' but if she was still with her mother dog, her mom would be doing the same thing. She wouldn't put up with it.

I personally don't think that making a yelping noise actually solves the problem. Yes, it freaks the dog out and makes it think that it hurt you, but it actually makes you weaker to the dog. The dog thinks that it hurt you, and will think she can do it again. Submissive dogs whine and yelp, not dominant ones.

Be firm with her and patient. Make sure you are calm and that you don't get frustrated with her. Are you exercising her daily? This will help you to accomplish what you want with her and will help her gain your trust and respect enough to obey you. Please message me if you have more questions and let me know how she does. Best of luck.

Yep.
Welcome to puppy hood.
try to stop her with things she can chew on.
Say nope ututu, here, show her the toy. This has to be done over and over. She will soon learn that is what I chew on. When she does go for the toy praise her. You are rewarding the behavior you want. And she will appreciate it if you engage in some play by shaking the toy. I see her toy that is a good one to block her with. They get bored all the time. Pups love to play.

Haylee

Normal Puppy Behaviour but my Breeder gave me an awesome trick that works like a charm.

YELP LIKE A DOG..,,,She said that when puppies play too rough with other puppies the dogs will yelp and they learn how to bite/play gently. Since your dog has no other puppies around to develop socialization skills you will have to make "Yipping" sounds so that your dog understands that she/he is hurting you.

I have tried this on all 3 of my Boston Terriers and it works like a charm!!!

Haylee answered on 1/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lolita

Just over two weeks ago my husband and I adopted a terrier mix puppy who is just now under 3 months old. A week ago, she started nipping, and also diving at my face, primarily to try to nip my nose. It is definitely play behavior, as it is always when she is already playing with a toy and she wants me to play too. Everything I've read says to use the "yelp" and if necessary, "yelp" then walk away (not just ignore) for a minute. I've had no luck with that. Yesterday, we found that going totally still for a moment then redirecting her to a toy or to a command stops the biting.

I think the most important thing in your case is that your pup's doing this for 15-20 minutes before she stops. As soon as she does it the first time, try one of the suggestions here. The yelping technique or saying no while touching the scruff of the neck do seem to work with some dogs. Just start trying things - most importantly, let her know you're in charge and she doesn't get to bite you for 20 minutes!

Lolita answered on 12/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer