My 6 month old cavalier king charles is very hard to walk always sniffing the ground, is this normal or can it be stoped

My Cavalier King Charles is very hard to walk alwys sniffing the ground and pulling on her lead. Is this normal behaviour for a Cavalier or can it be stopped I really want to enjoy our walks but it is becoming a chore, Help

Asked by Member 822210 on Apr 2nd 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

T-Co  (T-Cocodree)

Hi my little dog T-co is a puller too. Although he is only 12.5 lbs he is still a pain when trying to walk him. He pulls and does the same thing as yours. I tried an anti-pul harness but that didn't work. I recently went to the vet and asked him. He suggested a Gentle Lead harness. He told me to read and follow the instructions. I cannot believe the difference!!!! Almost immediately he stopped pulling. The only thing is that they don't like it at first and will try to get it off but it worked for us and they aren't all that expensive either. Good luck.

T-Co (T-Cocodree) answered on 4/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisy

i have a 8 month old female cavalier king charles who does the exact same thing. every where i go she always has her noes to the ground and likes to stop for a good sniff. i find it easier to controll her now that i have got a harness. not ony is it easier to controll her but it doesnt feel like i'm strangling her all the time especically when she stops and i tug the lead to try and get her moving again. she is getting better now though as every time she starts to pull i say no and stand still. this then makes her anxiouse and eventually gets the jist that in order for us to move she needs to stop pulling .

Daisy answered on 7/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer