My 5 year old pit bull and border collie mixture cannot keep any food or water down. I took her to the vet and they gav

I am not sure if she swollowed something or not, but she cannot seem to have a bowl movement either.

Asked by Member 1033549 on May 12th 2011 Tagged bestwaytocheckforforeignmatter, whatcanidotohelp in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Jasmine

Take your dog to a different vet. Did they do x ray's. Sounds like a blockage to me. I'm not a vet but if it is a blockage it could kill her.

Jasmine answered on 5/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would contact the original vet again... people have a tendency to "vet jump" without giving the original one a chance. Most vets, when presented with a vomiting dog, will start with the CHEAPEST treatment, knowing that IF it doesn't work, the client will call back at which time they can go to option #2. If you just go to another vet, THEY are likely going to start with the same original treatment as well.

it does sound like blockage, but to be sure withhold food for a few hours and skip one feeding so the tummy can settle down.
I bought Organic' sour cream' that said on the outside, active live digestive enzymes and it seemed to coat my dog's tummy last week.
You can use that for one feeding about 1 tablespoon.
But, if she is not pooing she is either constipated or blocked. Constipation is from stress of moving or adding another dog. My dog gets dirrehea from doing shows too.
So if you feel the dog is still sick and should of showed improvement by now then take her back to the vets or try another vet.
Keep an eye on any bowel movements. Maybe what ever it is will come out. Some ppl.also use pumpkin to get the bowels moving again or soft mashed potatoes, no skin.