Simba

My 4 year old Golden allows petting from strangers. If petting goes too long, he would snap or take a nib.

My 4 year old Golden allows petting from strangers. If petting goes too long, he would snap or take a nib. While meeting another dog, he would sometimes stare and be excited to meet. He is kinda bouncy and rough player so the meeting is not always a happy ending. Sometimes the same behavior may break out play.Does this sound like socialization issue or aggression or dominance?

Asked by Simba on May 21st 2013 Tagged behavior, socialization in Behavior & Training

Answers

I would take him to training classes. He's still young and would benefit from the socialization with other dogs and people. Good Luck!

Your dog is friendly but needs to know how to deal with others properly. Thus, behavioral training is important.

well, how long is the petting. some dogs don't appreciate long petting and right in the face stuff. I mean people have to respect any dog. It can become annoying. I allow people to pet and then walk away praising the dog. I don't like people getting in my face or touching me if I don't know them myself. I mean there is that whole respect issue. My boston like to rough house. So there is that good fun and that hey I am going to bully others. The thing is finding out the dynamics of your dog's personality and letting people know hey pet him once and respect that.Because after all you have to tell people or they just annoy us, and it's up to you to set the rules of engagement. The fact is people don't use good sense sometimes. and the playing with other dogs is just something you observe and monitor. if it gets out of hand you intervene and end the day.