Abbey

My 4 month old mixed labrador has amoeba.

My 4 month old mixed labrador has always had loose stool but is otherwise very lively. When she refused to eat one time & started vomiting, the VET said she has amoeba & started her on metronidazole 250mg for a week. She immediately regained her appetite & stopped vomiting. But, she still has very loose stool, bordering on diarrhea. I feed her mixed Alpo canned wet mixed with dry pellets twice a day & she licks her dish clean. Any suggestions on how to fix her LBM? Do I change her diet or add something to it? thanks.

Asked by Abbey on Nov 2nd 2013 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

You have to give the meds time to work. You can give some boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast with some white rice for a day or two. Then you can wean her back on her regular food. If she doesn't get better quickly, you should take her back to the vet. Good Luck!

TEDDY RAMBO

get pup off Alpo!!!! that food is poison! look for an all natural holistic food such as wellness and blue buffalo. watch your labels. usa made or Canada only. basically if it can be boought at supermarket or Walmart it is trash food. please research "china made treats and foods". pup will also do fine on all dry...canned will cause loose stools because of moisture content.

TEDDY RAMBO answered on 11/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the above, medicine can cause diarrhea and I'm surprised that your vet did not have this discussion with you. Switch the Alpo for Natural Choice lamb puppy formula in DRY. Your dog is old enough to lose the wet. Alpo is the equivalent of pup McDonald's and you can feed much better food and snacks from your local pet retail store. ^_^

Beauty and Nala

I would try a diet of rice and boiled chicken, settle her stomach. Don't add other foods it may make it worse. Make sure she stays hydrated as well. Oh an NO SEASONING in the home made food.

Beauty and Nala answered on 11/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Plain rice and boiled chicken will do. Try asking the vet about recommendations that suits your dog's nutritional requirement.